miking my half stack

ok what is the best way for me to mike my half stack? I am playing through a solid state Crate half stack, and it seems like whenever i try to mike it i end up having to turn my volume way down, and adjusting input levels on my mobile pre usb to low levels, just to keep from clipping. the end result is a very compressed sound. id like to be able to turn up more to get to that sweet spot i know the amp has but how? i also have a terrible bass sound that over rides everything when playing power chords. i always end up equing with a high pass afterward. am i missing something? i use a phantom powered mxl v63. should i shed the extra cash and get a sure sm?

You have my answer already; get a dynamic mic. The reason you're getting too much signal when you have the amp turned up really loud is that condensers are much more sensitive.

You either need an attenuator to pad the mic's output, a dynamic mic, or you need to back the mic off until the level is acceptable, but that will add more room sound in.

A lot of the important stuff that comes out of a guitar amp will only come out when the speakers are moving, so I hope you have luck.

Also, I would suggest that you use as much mid range as you can when recording distorted guitar. I typically, even for metal, set the mids to 7 or 8 and turn the bass down to 4 or so, the highs depend on whether or not there is enough detail up there.

Really, a lot of heavy guitars you've heard in your life time are tracked with a lot of mids on the amp's EQ but the amp is loud enough so that the bass and high end compress and sweeten...And they usually go to tape.

You don't need $100. Get a Sure sm57. They are great for guitar amps and you can find them for $70 or so.

thanks. i think ill probably go for a sm57, just because it seems to be a near standard, when i get more cash ill try them all and see what i like best. reps to all...

Back