Miking a French Horn

Bane01

Like Yeah!
Hi everyone,

In the very near future, I will be miking a friend who plays french horn for a little piano pop rock song with about 5 tracks. I have a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, a VTech VT1040 dynamic mic, and large diaphragm Samson CO1 condenser mic with a supercardioid pattern. The recording environment is my rather small bedroom.

We have done some practice sessions before, and my latest try was miking it with my dynamic really close and placing the Samson condenser in the player's head position. Altought the dynamic recording was acceptable, the condenser didn't turn out so well as the end result sounded like it was played in a tin can, possibly due to the wood furniture that was behind the player or some kind of positioning error. He also tended to tap his foot to keep beat with the clicktrack so all that bled into the condenser as well.

I've read a considerable amount online, but I know alot varies depending on the type of acoustic environment available. What would you do with this amount of equipment in this situation as far as mic placement? Also is hard panning each way advisable to keep it outside the centre of the stereo image?

Thanks.

If the room is small / no good / both, I wouldn't even bother with the Samson. Granted, the VTech isn't exactly --- Oh geez...

Try setting them both up, the dynamic a foot from the bell and the condenser about 3 feet and have that spot about a foot inside an open door (so the bell is around 4' from and aimed out that open door).

Thanks guys for the responses!

Massive Master, I know the VTech is not a common mic, but it does retail for about $60, and yes it is almost funny to the point of being ridiculous. I am very seriously considering getting a Shure SM57 for various reasons, this being one of them. If I were to go this route, what would I gain other than a lack of embarrassment? I will definitely be trying out your mic setup recommendation next time we get together.

Larry, which of mine would be a Chinese mic? Also, what inexpensive mics would you recommend being that I am kinda working on a budget here, due to age and the amount of recording work I actually do.

Massive Master, I know the VTech is not a common mic, but it does retail for about $60, and yes it is almost funny to the point of being ridiculous. I am very seriously considering getting a Shure SM57 for various reasons, this being one of them. If I were to go this route, what would I gain other than a lack of embarrassment? I will definitely be trying out your mic setup recommendation next time we get together.
There are "really cheap mics" and there's the occasional "really great mic that happens to be freakishly cheap" -- The 57 is the latter.

Would this be an ideal mic for recording say brass and guitar amps? If so, this is a no brainer.

Back