mike pair selection question

jeaston

I will be recording an acoustic jazz band (grand piano, string bass, trumpet, tenor saxophone, no drums) as well as solo grand piano. No attempt made to isolate instruments. Will be recording to the Tascam 788 digital portastudio. I have one Rode NT2 and plan to get another one, to get a recording of the "room sound". I want also to get another pair of mikes that could be used to record solo grand piano differently than the NT2 pair would do, and also to use as spot mikes for the band recordings, to enhance whatever needs enhancing. I am considering a pair of Neumann KM184 mikes. I would greatly appreciate any input on that idea, including whether or not I would do just as well (given my recording situation) buying a pair of less expensive small/medium diaphragm condensers, and if so, which ones. Thank you very much.

Jon Easton

Too much money on hand. After I buy these mikes I'll stop buying mikes forever, and won't be worrying about endlessly upgrading to mikes that cost a hundred dollars more than the ones I currently have. But thank you for your reply!

Why not just rent mics for that gig until you determine exactly what mics you actually want to purchase???

Don't let the pressure of a recording gig dictate a fast mic choice for you... if you're gonna spend a lot of money, you better be sure it's exactly what you want!

Bruce

Thank you. Actually it's not just one gig. I'm the piano player in the band and we play often, in the bass player's teaching studio. These mikes will be for the long term. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Or you could rent Bruce for only a dollar a day! I agree with Big B here, rent, demo and then judge. Saved a pal alot of $$$$. He was set on a mic, but his voice didn't sound good through it. Well it sounded good, but the mic he wound up with sounds 10 times better. Search around!

Back