Mike Advice for New Studio!

btref

Hey, I can tell that there are many people in this thread who know a hell of a lot about production and engineering. I don't have much of a story yet, I guess im just a starry eyed kid trying to make some hiphop music that people can enjoy.

So to be blatantly honest, I came fore some advice. I have been recording in a tiny closet on a yeti usb microphone using garageband to do all my post production (I know, it is very advanced :P)
But next year me and a few friends are getting a place together and we are setting up a studio, most likely in a medium sized bedroom.

I currently have a macbook pro running Logic Pro 9
I have a pair of M-Audio monitors
I have a MPD 32

So my real question is, what equipment do you veterans recommend I have a budget of up to $4000 - So, How would you spend it?

Microphone? (Ive heard good things about the Rode K2, Nuemann TLM 103 and the Shure SM7B - any other suggestions?)
Interface?
Preamp?
Acoustic treatment (basstraps etc.)?
Anything else?

Thank you for your time and input
-B

Acoustic treatment first, then find a microphone that complements you voice. An interface that has preamps.
But all of this is dependent to how many tracks that you would be recording at one time and what is to be recorded. ;)

Acoustic treatment first, then find a microphone that complements you voice. An interface that has preamps.
But all of this is dependent to how many tracks that you would be recording at one time and what is to be recorded.

That's if you want to go conventional. Just start buying a bunch of equipment testing to see what you like or don't like, up grade as needed.

Seriously the acoustic treatment is super important, from experience, I as of now do not have any treatment, (my next major purchase) and my room sounds like shit. Close miking amps, I don't think it matters so much. But recording acoustic guitar with out is tricky at best, and acoustic drums is a nightmare. and vocals as well. Impossible to distinguish tracks with headphones on. the reverb or latency is driving me crazy. get the treatment, and a high quality d/a converter, a good mic pre, and a good mic. save your money, don't buy crap equipment, you'll just keep upgrading. and go in that order.

That's if you want to go conventional. Just start buying a bunch of equipment testing to see what you like or don't like, up grade as needed.

Seriously the acoustic treatment is super important, from experience, I as of now do not have any treatment, (my next major purchase) and my room sounds like shit. Close miking amps, I don't think it matters so much. But recording acoustic guitar with out is tricky at best, and acoustic drums is a nightmare. and vocals as well. Impossible to distinguish tracks with headphones on. the reverb or latency is driving me crazy. get the treatment, and a high quality d/a converter, a good mic pre, and a good mic. save your money, don't buy crap equipment, you'll just keep upgrading. and go in that order.

Are you recording in your bathroom? Just kidding, I'm a FNG and was waiting for some help also.

Are you recording in your bathroom? Just kidding, I'm a FNG and was waiting for some help also.

I'm still a FNG as well.

I did shit totally backward. I started buying gear because I'm impatient and wanted to start recording. My wife wasn't keen on nailing and gluing treatment on the walls. But acoustical treatment is a must. There's plenty of info on this site. Start with treating your room before you spend money on recording gear. Start with treating your room before you spend money on recording gear. Do I have to say it again?

Back