Midrange Controls on Monitors

vestast

Gassy Member
Hi All.

I have noticed that when I play my final mixes back on other systems that many of the instruments seem to be fighting for space in the midrange....

My monitors (Samson 65a's) have a midrange control in increments of +3 from flat to +6. So I'm guessing that I should use it to try and emphasize the midrange a little more so I can maybe hear a little better at what is happening. Is this correct ?

The second part of the question is, if I do this, should I boost my Sub up by a couple of db and adjust the crossover on it ?

I hope this makes sense..

You could try it (changing the midrange) -- note that if you go too far, you will make your mixes very thin-sounding (since you'll think there's more midrange than there actually is...)

It's a fine line between just-right and too-much, unfortunately, there's no other way around it other than learning your monitors and experimenting with calibration controls.

You *may* have to recallibrate your sub too, depnding on how much you change in the mids...

Send pink noise to only a single speaker with the sub off - bring the level to 85dB at the listening position. Don't change any of the levels on your board.

Then turn the sub on (and turn the speaker off) sending the same pink noise thru it, but calibrate its level so that it reads 6dB lower at the mix position.

This should get your sub at a fairly good level to extend the low-end response of your monitors, without unnecessary (& unwanted!) low-end boosting.

Thanks for the reply Bruce. I did in fact find the mixes to thin when I increased the mid to the max level. +3 seems to be o.k.

I'll try the pink noise calibration today and see how I do with some mixes.

Thanks again.

Back