midi velocity with V-Drums / Sonar

rodvonbon

belly full of beer
Hey all,

I am new to Sonar and midi, so dont beat me up on this too much.

I have previously done all of my audio recording in Vegas, but have recently started messing with midi recording so I got Sonar.
I am recording my V-drums into Sonar 2.0-Battery-Drumkit from hell. I can record/playback no problem, my problem is this:
All of the drum hits seem to be at an equal level on playback no matter how hard or soft the drum was hit. When I record from the audio line outs of the V-Drums the diffrent velocitys are there, but via midi there are no dynamics between the heavy and soft hits.
Know what I mean?
Im supposing it could be a setting on the Drum modual or in Sonar.
If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
rodvonbon

rodvonbon said:
Im supposing it could be a setting on the Drum modual or in Sonar.
I'm pretty sure it's not Sonar. Most likely the MIDI output of your V-Drums module...

You want to talk to Dachay2tnr! Paging Dachay....

Yeah,....Moskus,

I need you and "THE" other cakewalk guys to get in on this.
I've done my research on all of you :D, in the "hey Moskus" thred.

Please, please, tell me why:

When I play the V-Drums through Battery as a stand alone (in real time) there are no problems. Every hit is louder or softer in relation to how I hit the drum . So that tells me (deductive reasioning :rolleyes: ) that it's not the drum modual.
Some how the way the midi data is recieved either through my soundcard (could be that?) or into Sonar is fucking it up.
If I were to Follow my own reasoning, the soundcard being a problem does not make much sense, concidering the soundcard generates the same midi data for Battery as It does Sonar. Right?:confused:

So why does the kick drum always show 65 as a velocity no matter how hard or soft I hit it in Sonar?
Im sure it's me that's doing something wrong.
Does this make any sense to anyone?

And now I will vent:..........
WHY OH WHY, CAN'T I JUST MAKE SHITTY DEMOS OF SONGS WITH MIDI DRUMS WITHOUT THEM SOUNDING LIKE A FUCKING CASIO????????????

thank you ,
rodvonbon

Last edited:
Weird.... ???

If you can play perfectly fine in the standalone version of Battery, then I agree, it's not the drums. Are you sure you use the same MIDI ports in Battery (standalone) and Sonar?

What MIDI interface are you using?

Moskus,

I use a delta 1010 for an interface and come to think of it, I dont know what midi ports I am using. What is recomended? I am totally new to midi recording, I grasp the concept but have only a basic understanding of how it works.

thanks,
rodvonbon

OK, OK, I'm here. :D

rodvonbon - I record drums using exactly the same setup as you. V-Drums into Delta 1010 into Sonar. However, I do not have the problem you have. Velocities are recorded right along with the notes.

I haven't any idea why you're not getting the velocities.

Here's my setup. Midi Out on the Vdrum brain is connected to the Midi In on the Delta 1010 via standard midi cable.

(I'm not at my DAW now, so this is from memory). I setup a midi track in Sonar, and (I believe) I choose Midi Omni as the input source. Channel, Bank and Patch are all set to None.
Arm the track and click record.

I also monitor the drums via the audio out while recording. So in addition to the midi out cable, I also run audio cables to my mixer and monitor the drums using the audio signal while recording the midi.

I'll check tonight to see if I told you anything wrong, or left anything out. But it's pretty straightforward.

I run the exact same setup with my V-Session/ TD-10 as dachay and never have had any problems with note velocities.... I'll take a look and see what I can come up with though.

ls

Dachay2tnr,

I think I have solved my problem. I was using a diffrent mapping in Battery as a standalone than I was in Sonar and noticed that the one I used in Sonar had 1-127 velocity for every cell layer. So on say, the snare I had 12 layers all set to trigger at the same time. Im soooo stooooopid!:D
thanks for the help.

rodvonbon

I also did'nt have midi set to omni, which I have now corrected:)

Glad you got it sorted out! :)

By the way...
rodvonbon said:
I also did'nt have midi set to omni, which I have now corrected:)
If you've just set the input channel right, that shouldn't be a problem. But Omni just makes things easier if you're recording one track (or one instrument) at the same time. ;)

Back