MIDI to mp3/cd......beyond GeneralMidi

jojojeronimo

I just got a Roland XV-88 weighted synth.
I use a USB midi cable to route MIDI out of the synth, thru the PC for sequencing (CakewalkPro9), then back into the synth, which i listen to the output from.

I've posted this questions elsewhere but i think i phrased it wrong or something.

At its simplest, (since im desperate for a response), I'm asking....what ways are there to produce as Mp3 or straight onto cd, the cakewalk-sequenced project USING the original XV-88 synth sounds.

The way ive been trying is saving the project to wav, but that turns the sounds to GeneralMidi, and renders most songs unplayable since the SB-live cant play the great synth sounds.

Please help, or ask for more info if i havent given enough. Thanks!

Once you have your sequence recorded as GM, you should be able to go into Cakewalk and on that track and select the "source" as your XV-88. This way when you play back the sequence Cakewalk will access the sounds on your outboard synth. I know this can be done, I'm not sure exactly how because I don't use outboard synths, but it can be done.

Once you have the XV-88 selected to playback the sequence you can record it to another Cakewalk track as a wav file. You'll need a preamp to do this however--either a mixer or a small mic pre ($80-$100). You'll go from your SB "line out" into the mic pre "line in," then from the mic pre "line out" back into the SB "line in." For your "source" on the Cakewalk wav track select "SB Live audio in."

Actually, you may not even need a mic pre. You may be able to record directly through the SB internally to create a wav file. I can do this with soundfonts.

Post this thread in the computer and soundcard forum and we'll see if we can get AlChuck to respond. He's very good at this stuff.

In the meantime I'll see if I can find another thread that can help.

tdukex,

Your tips are a little confusing there. He wants to record the synth sounds, not the Sound Blaster's. Basically you were right in your first reply -- except for the part about the mic preamp. The XV-88 doubtless has a stereo line output. So you would use the sound card's line in.

jojojeronimo,

The Cakewalk manual has pretty thorough instructions on how to get your project mixed down from whatever sources (audio, internal MIDI synth, external MIDI synth) to a stereo WAV or MP3 or whatever. And if that's still not clear they have an item on the website FAQ:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/faq.htm#28

Thanks

Thanks Tduex and Alchuck!

Its pretty clear i'm a complete and unashamed newbie and dont know what im talking about. I dont have the manual for cakewalk so Alchuck your link was very helpful.
I take it I now need to buy some sort of cable that runs from the XV-88's audio into the sb-live line-in. I dont know what that would be, but I'm sure the guys at my music store will be all too happy to find out and sell me another thing!!

thanks.

No manual, eh? The help system has virtually all the same material, for future reference.

The Roland probably has a pair of unbalanced 1/4" jacks, the L and R of a stereo pair. You can buy a cable that has two 1/4" plugs plugs on one end and one stereo 1/8" miniplug on the other end, to plug into the SB Live's 1/8" stereo minijack Line In (not the Mic In). Hmm, maybe $10-15?

Thanks Alchuck for that relieving piece of information..I wasn't looking forward to spending near as much again as I did on the MIDI USB cable.

But I live In Brisbane, so thanks to the "power" of the aussie dollar I can look forward to spenidng more like $30 than $15.

Thanks again, I'll be going to the music store tomorrow - and look forward to making some mp3s and cds!

Back