Midi to Audio

utsman

O.K cubies,

Now this may be a dumb one cause I have been recording audio for ages, but midi has me stumped.
I can record midi via my vst intruments, but how to then record the midi as audio.

The system goes
Midi keyboard into US122,
Input to midi track is US122(of course)
Output of midi track to vst instrument.
midi records fine.
But how do I now record it as audio so I can mix it down to wav.

The manual (I am using cubase LE) doesn't seem to offer- or please tell me where if it does.

UTSMAN

Mixdown and import. You might however find that what you want to do is already doable without mixing it down first. If you want to apply an audio insert effect on the midi channel, you can use the VST channel of the VST plugin in the mixer. This is an audio channel (therefor allowing you to do anything you could normally do with an audio channel) through which the sound of the VST plug is routed.

Good luck!

Halion said:
Mixdown and import. You might however find that what you want to do is already doable without mixing it down first. If you want to apply an audio insert effect on the midi channel, you can use the VST channel of the VST plugin in the mixer. This is an audio channel (therefor allowing you to do anything you could normally do with an audio channel) through which the sound of the VST plug is routed.

Am I mis-reading the question or missing something here? Would he not simply enable an Audio Track then mute all other MIDI tracks that he/she has EXCEPT for the one that needs to be audio and hit record?

This is what I do to get my midi tracks onto an audio track, but beware that if more one midi track is playing, you will get the results on your audio track that reflect everything it is hearing. Even guitar hum if your stomp box isn't turned off or down.

I've never heard that way before. I think you have a feedback loop somewhere, causing everything that's going out to come back in through some analogue inputs. Am I wrong?

You can hook your keyboard into line in and then record the line in output in Cubase. I guess the question is what model of keyboard do you have. When I recorded from midi to audio (from the keyboard), I had to hook my keyboard with the line in/out and the midi connection in order to get it to record. I think that you also have to set your volume control in the soundcard to record from line in. This is fine because everything coming in is midi so you should get the same quality that you had in Cubase along with any effects and eq that were put in place. It's been a couple of years since I did that but it worked and it took me forEVER to find out how to do.

I'm not up on Cubase, but with Sonar I have a midi track playing a VST instrument (which is an audio track itself). To record the audio output of the vst instrument onto a track by itself, which is what I think your wanting to do. I highlight (select) the midi track and the vst track, and then tell it to bouce to track. A new audio track is created containing the audio of the VST instrument driven by the midi track. I can then export it to wav or leave it and combine it with other tracks during a mixdown if I want. When I'm done with the midi track and the VST, I remove them to get the load off the processor, or archive them. Cubase should have an option that allows this. I'll try to into it check myself as well.

hehe, I didnt realize I was in the Cubase forum. Hope nobody is offended. :)

Toki987 said:
I'm not up on Cubase, but with Sonar I have a midi track playing a VST instrument (which is an audio track itself). To record the audio output of the vst instrument onto a track by itself, which is what I think your wanting to do. I highlight (select) the midi track and the vst track, and then tell it to bouce to track. A new audio track is created containing the audio of the VST instrument driven by the midi track. I can then export it to wav or leave it and combine it with other tracks during a mixdown if I want. When I'm done with the midi track and the VST, I remove them to get the load off the processor, or archive them. Cubase should have an option that allows this. I'll try to into it check myself as well.

hehe, I didnt realize I was in the Cubase forum. Hope nobody is offended. :)

Toki you are on to it. That is exactly what I am trying to do - get the output of the vst instrument to record on an audio track. I will give it another go after reading your response.

Bonz - you are also onto it, but when I mute all others and hit record on a new audio track=nothing. The output of the vst instrument isn't being sent to new audio track.

You guys are already helping a stack.
I am sure it will be resolved soon. I will have another crack and report back.

UTSMAN

Any luck Utzman?
I had the same question. Since a softsynth is just a software MIDI>AUDIO converter at the end, it seems strange to play the softsynth and re-record the audio like I did in the past (because I did not know how to do it differently). So I would be happy if you can tell me if it worked and how.
Best wishes,
Bas

Mute every track except the Soft Synth you want to convert.

Go to File>Export>Audio Mixdown.
Select the output of the SoftSynth from the outputs menu (Lower lefthand corner). Check the Import to Pool and Create Audio Track options. Give your file a name and hit save.

Note: You must have the locators set at the top of the project window to encompass the entire span of the part you want to mixdown (This is the blue bar used for looping, if it is red it means the locators are set backwards, i.e. the end locator is located before the start locator in the project window, it NEEDS to be blue). Remember to allow a couple of extra bars at the end for any decay the synth may have, and I also allow at least 1 measure of Pre-Roll). After you export as stated above, Cubase will automatically create the track and line the new audio clip up with where the first marker was set.

If you need to add additional parts to the same track later, Due everything as above but don't check the Create Audio track option, just the add to pool option, and then you can simply drag the new file right from the pool window into the project window.

The method above will only bounce the track down, with NO effects. So you'd have to add those effects back to the new Audio track (I always due it this way in case I change my mind about the effects I used). If you want to add all the effects to mixdown. Simply SOLO the track you want to mixdown (Which inturn will allow any effects and sends used on the track to function normally as well), and repeat the steps above, except choose Stereo Out in the Mixdown dialog, as the Output channel to be used.

Back