MIDI Synch issues

tedluk

OK guys (and gals), here is my problem-

I have a decent MIDI setup and the one thing I can't seem to get working intelligently is synching everything together.

I have a P4, 2.6 with a Mixtreme soundcard, a UM550 USB MIDI interface and an AW2816 as my main clock generating sources. I am running SONAR 3PE on Windows XP. I've got a bunch of different synths, but I don't seem to be able to figure out the right way to get one clock source that can control everything.

Right now, I use the clock in the AW2816 as the master. My Mixtreme seems to be happiest with this configuration. If I set SONAR to control my MIDI gear, then I always have to launch SONAR and have it running something to generate a MIDI clock.

Sometimes, a LOT of the time, actually, I want to just be able to play my synths without having to launch SONAR. Is there a simple way to get MIDI clock sent out to all the various modules through the UM550 that won't require me to have a sequencer running on my computer?

I hope I explained this clearly. If not, let me know and I'll try to make it make sense.

TIA

Ted

I would try a simple system in which you find a midi patcher with at least two sources, hook up the Yamaha to one and the computer to the other.

Then you could switch between them at will, and your problem would be solved.

Back