MIDI Sync Troubles With Q7

jamusic

Hey all,

So I'm new to the 'Q' and have set up about 3 templates for recording so far.

One of them is to transfer my MIDI sequences from my physical sequencer [Roland MC-50 MKii] and record them into Cubase.

I set up individual tracks, and although they're coming in from one of 2 outputs from the MC-50, I do have the tracks with their own MIDI channel numbers - about 6 tracks.

So they play out of Output #2 of the MC-50, into a Roland UM-550 MIDI interface which is seen by Cubase, as set up a few days ago.

But - when I play the tracks, all of them play across all tracks in Cubase, so they show up, but do not separate into their own channels in the DAW. ie: if I play track 1, all the channels indicate the same MIDI note on/offs; same if I play track 8 - all mirror each other.

Additionally, I cannot get either one ['Q' & MC-50] to slave to another, even after much reading in the operation manual and countless attempts of all kinds of different possible settings trying each one as the master and the other as the slave.

I'm by no means a newb, as this is my 3rd DAW now, and have been successful doing this with both my other 2 DAWs, [although one DAW can only be the master] - hence my surprise & subsequent frustration at having no luck at this after hours & hours of trying today.

I have been able to get Sonar to be both slave & master. So I'm quite comfortable with the process.

I've also owned this MC-50 sequencer for 17 years, and it has yet to fail, freeze up or die on me.

I've been in & out of the Devices Menu & it's options and again my device is being seen by 'Q', but something is obviously a skew.

I jumped from Sonar to 'Q' just last month, primarily for the extra MIDI editing options, so I'd really like to get past this first and only stumbling block so far.

Seems like I'm missing something simple & obvious, but I've only had 'Q' open a half dozen times so far.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance,

James

Ok, so after another go 'round, I do have some results after all - at least half way there, anyway.

I did get the sequencer to slave to Cubase after some more horsing around.

Most of it had to do with my external hardware.

In addition to the sequencer, I have the UM-550 MIDI interface to set and a Yamaha MEX 8 MIDI Expander to switch MIDI cables over, under, around & through so to speak.

Then I was able to organize things better inside Cubase, although I am still stuck with recording only one track at a time, which is fine - I don't mind - as more care & attention can be given to each track as I transfer it, but it just seems a bit of a mystery, since I have been able to do all tracks at once in the past.

I'm also still left wondering about not being able to slave Cubase to the sequencer, as it says it can be done in the manual.

Based on my findings above, I'll bet it has to do with my set up again, most likely, although I tried & tried & tried different things all morning, with no luck.

Not that big of a deal though, as long as I got Cubase to be the Master, which it would have to be in the long run anyway, when the time comes for adding vocals, guitars & bass, so it might as well be from the start.

I made a whole pile of notes as well, both of my external hardware set up & internal settings in Cubase & saved the project of course. :thumbs up:

Ok, so in case anyone wants to know, I have now isolated the problem here.

After re-reading the manual regarding setting up MIDI devices, it seems that the option to specify MIDI channels 1-16 is not there.

The way it reads to me, there is supposed to be an additional option for this along side the 'In All MIDI', but there isn't. There's an empty bunch of slots next to it, and right, or left clicking does nothing.

Now matter what I try, nothing works, and the tracks all show the same MIDI activity as if I had clicked 'All MIDI'.

I do have the options for output channels on my MIDI devices & modules, but nothing for incoming channels.

So something is definitely missing.

I'm going to post this as a new post to see if I can generate some additional replies.

Back