Midi question

Diverdown

Hi all
Ive got a couple questions that I hope have generic answers
First Im using Makie Traction 2 , usb interface and a Yamaha E403 Keyboard
Im a complete noob to midi but was able to get the keyboard sequencing notes on a midi track in traction from the yamaha sound menu
Traction comes loaded with some plugins and vst and Im trying to get a vst called super drum generator fx to work but having no luck
1st Should I be able to use a mouse to apply/play a vst or do i need a keyboard hooked up? or is a vst simply a filter that plays the programed notes?
Ive gone through the manuals and find myself beffudled and confounded
The word easy is bandied about liberaly and i find myself wondering if I shoud find a small child and let him/her at it

My intent is to lay down drum tracks that have more feeling than the repetative loops that come loaded on the keyboard and splicing something into a wav track is not yet a skill ive mastered
If you can help id appreciate it!
Thanks
P:D

I use Tracktion too, and I've had good luck using the sampler --- found under 'Tracktion Filters' --- and loading it up with some drum sounds, then triggering it with midi notes.

You can use edit mode in Tracktion as a type of step input system. The setup for this is easy. You start by selecting a track and hitting the letter 'G' on your computer keyboard to create an empty midi clip, then double click the clip to get into note edit mode. You'll know you've done this right if there's representation of a keyboard down the left edge of the mid clip window. From there you can figure out which note triggers the kick drum, which triggers the snare and so on.

In Tracktion-speak, every VST plugin is a 'filter' --- both VST instruments and VST effects --- and when you're ready to beef up your arsenal go here --- LINK --- and download as many free plugins as you like. There's also the biggest, baddest clearinghouse for everything pluggable, KVR, but I find Gersic easier to search because everything's free.

Do a Google search or three for free drum samples ---the web is full of them.

Tweaking the velocity and the timing of individual drum hits is what brings expression and variety to drum loops.

Back