midi problems

stonemartin

OCD Podcaster
I have been using cakewalk for about a year, so I am not a COMPLETE noob, but I recently got a new computer and can't get my midi to work. I mainly use Midi to program my drum tracks.
I have done this before, so I have made sure that:
Midi input/outputs have been set to MPU-401
Drums are on channel 10
Windows volume settings are set

Am I missing something?

Midi input/outputs have been set to MPU-401

This is the MIDI interface ports. So the MIDI data is being sent out the MIDI Out port of the PC, to an external module.

Windows volume settings are set
This would be meaningless if you were sending the MIDI data out to an external sound module.

Now why would you mention the Windows volume control if you had an external module? Unless -- you don't, and you are expecting the MIDI parts to be played by your soundcard. But you are directing the MIDI messages out the out port. If there's nothing hooked up to respond to the port, that would certainly explain why you get nothing.

I meant to say that the Midi devices are set as MPU-401 for input and output. The only other choice is for output to be set as Microsoft Midi Mapper - input has no other choice.

As far as the individual track goes, the output has no other choice than to be MPU-401. Input can be none, Midi Omni, or Midi channel 1-16. I chose Midi Omni. Channel set as 10.

I do not have any Midi devices - I am using my soundcard's Roland GS Drumset for drums and programming them by dropping the notes in the staff view.

I just need to get another real drummer...

I meant to say that the Midi devices are set as MPU-401 for input and output. The only other choice is for output to be set as Microsoft Midi Mapper - input has no other choice.

The sound card's on-board synth should show up as a output device choice. The fact that it does not suggests that you have a driver problem. What soundcard are we talking about here?

Anyway, that's the problem -- the onboard synth is not accessible to you. You are sending the MIDI messages out the MIDI Out port on your soundcard's MIDI interface, which, since it's connected to nothing, are just lost.

Well, I bought an E-Machine with integrated Sound and Video cards (I know, I know). I am at work at the moment, so I'm not sure on the specifics of it.
Does that help any?

If the E-Machine came with driver (eg. installation CD), you might need to install it. In often case, Windows will detect the soundcard's audio device, but NOT the MIDI feature, thus you need to install the driver to make a good use of the MIDI feature :)

;)
Jaymz

...please consider Pre-ordering Homerecording.Comp CD's Vol 2 :)

Consensus is that my onboard sound card is a piece of shit, so I'm gonna disable it and put in my old card. I know that one works.
Thanks for the help guys.

Back