Midi problem using roland mc-80

allan57

This is a repeat thread. I retitled it as I think it better identifies the issue.

I just bought a Roland MC-80 Sequencer. Prior to that I was using a Roland MC-500mkII. The configuation was: 1. midi out from keyboard to midi in of sequencer: 2. midi out from sequencer to midi in of keyboard: 3. midi thru of keyboard to external sound module and drum rack. Everything worked fine. So, I set up the MC-80 the same way, but; now when I try to change the midi transmit channel on the keyboard to change the midi channel on the sound module, no matter what the number says its doesn't change. I then tried the midi thru from the sequencer to the sound module. Now it changes the midi channels on the sound module but nothing can be heard on playback. Conversely,when I plug back into the midi thru on the keyboard, I can hear playback. So its either I can't change midi channels sending to the sound module or I can't hear playback from the sound module. I've tried settings changes and the like with no success. Is there a better way to configure that will fix this problem?

I think we need to start with a few basic setup steps. It might help if we knew what keyboard you are using, but let me see if I can help without that info.

1) Keyboard must have a basic MIDI communication channel that your Roland MK-80 is set to send and receive on, too. It can be any of the 16.

2) Apparently your keyboard has additional MIDI functionality because you state that on your prior arrangement you were able to change the channel on the keyboard going to your Sound Module via the Thru port. I'm not sure how that was achieved and here's why: MIDI specs state that what comes out of the THRU is an exact copy of what comes into the keyboard by way of its IN.

Nothing should be coming out of the THRU if you did not have something hooked up to its IN (which you said was your sequencer), which would then mean that whatever the sequencer was transmitting into your keyboard would get replicated out the keyboard's THRU into your sound module. Nothing you do on your keyboard should come out of the THRU. Again, only what comes into the Keyboard's IN will go out the THRU.

So whatever the MIDI channel you had assigned on the Sound Module's communication channel, would pick up all the MIDI info coming into it.

Now, you said you used to be able to change the MIDI THRU going to that sound module via your keyboard. All I can think of at this point (not knowing what keyboard you have) is that maybe, somehow, your older Sequencer was receiving the change from the keyboard (had to be in program mode???) and that in turn would alter what came out of the MIDI THRU of the keyboard as the sequencer would send it OUT to the IN of the Keyboard, thus allowing such a possibility. Again, you used to change keyboard which in fact changed the sequencer which then when played got sent out of the keyboard's THRU to the sound module. That's the only way it could have worked.

Summary: All devices (Sequencer, Keyboard, and Sound Module) have a MIDI communication (transmit) channel. MIDI THRU is a replica of what came into that particular device's IN.

LAST: When you respond again with your other equipment information, also explain how you were able to save your files from your old sequencer (what format?) and how did you copy them into the new sequencer. Maybe those MIDI files have something in them that is looking for something that has changed.

Last edited:
Okay, here's what I think is happening in your 2nd configuration:

You used to change something on your keyboard, which had to affect something on the sequencer, which then when the sequencer would begin to play (going into the keyboard, and out the THRU to the Module) you had the experience you remember.

Now, when you attempt to change the MIDI channel as you used to, your new Roland MK-80 sequencer is not allowing the alteration the way the MC-500mkII used to. Not knowing these pieces of equipment, I cannot tell you if this MK-80 can be setup to respond the same way as the MC-500mkII.

Last, the fact that you can change a channel on the sequencer now which you interpret as being able to change the THRU channel (realize, that there is no such thing as a THRU channel, you're just describing something as you understood it), but now there's no sound on playback which makes sense. Nothing will be coming of the the Sequencer's THRU, except what you play on the keyboard, since the keyboard's OUT is going into the Sequencer's IN, and THAT is what gets replicated out of the Sequencer's THRU. So it makes sense that there would be no playback in this configuration.

Whatever the sequencer plays does NOT go out its THRU. Only what comes into the Sequencer's IN.

Last edited:
Hi guys a little late to the conversation:)
just one question, our teacher asked us a question which we have to think of and it goes like this: Why doesn't a sequencer got a midi thru?

Thx

M

Back