Midi popping

Stephen Jones

Sorry if this issue comes up every week here. I'm new to the world of MIDI and this problem is driving me bonkers.
For some reason when I play MIDI tracks I occaisionally hear little random pops coming out of the speakers. I do not have this problem when listening to digital audio. The pops seem to differ in volume and are not in the same place twice.
Problem is I'm tring to encorporate some MIDI tracks into a digital audio project I'm working on and when I go to change the MIDI into digital audio via the internal soundcard I get the pops as is.
Anyone have any idea what could be the culprit here? The pops seem to occur shortly after note-on or note-offs are occuring, but it's hard to tell.
Thanks for any help,
steve
ps - I am using PA9 and a 1998 Turtle Beach soundcard.

midi pops? never heard of that...what device are u, using to play the midi sounds...ur sound card?

Not sure if it's the same thing but i was getting little pops every time my keyboard sent a midi signial to my Delta. Where it was a note on or using the picht bend, it would pop. And I checked the mixer to see where it was comming from and i couldn't find it, all volumes up or down, didn't matter. I'm not sure how my apartment is wired up but I unplugged my monitors (the power) and plugged them into the same outlet as my rack and it fixed it. I don't know about all that electricity stuff but hey it worked. I know i probably should have done that in the first place but it was easier the other way. Hope this helps

Maddrummer, do you have a via chipset? There are known problems with clicks on M-audio delta cards. There is a new driver at their site that cures the problem.

Stephen, I used to get those kind of problems all the time with my old S/blaster sound card, I never did cure it:( Ditched it in favour of a Delta 66+omni.:)

Thanks so much for answeing.
Yes, I am indeed using the internal soundcard's synth, and it appears as though that is indeed the culprit. Looks like I need a new one for my MIDI stuff. Can anyone reccomend something cheap but good? ( I have a Delta 66 I use here for audio) Does the omni come with an internal synth?
Thanks,
steve

With a Delta-card you should be able to get the latency so low that you can use softsynths (if your computer is up for the job)...

Back