MIDI Out from VST

Jefrome

Hello,

I'm working and searching on this for a long time now but I still haven't got the point to get full use out of my hardware. It's about the Behringer BCF and BCR2000.

I'm using FL Studio and it's quite easy to link a control in the program to the hardware. (select the parameter, link to controller and move the hardware control )However midi output is another story. I can set the output port in any plugin to 102 (the communication port of the BCF2000) but nothing happens when moving a control inside the plugin (not output is send?).

In the FL Studio dashboard plugin I can manually create a slider for example, and set the cc number and channel and that works fine (the hardware receives the value from FL Studio). But it doesn't get me anywhere since there no VST plugin involved in this setup. Anyway this states that I know at least a bit about midi and my hardware is setup&configured well. It's more software related I guess.

From this point I have several solutions that would help me out;

-A VST plugin wrapper/host that supports midi in and out, and sends direct midi out (cc messages) when a parameter changes. This wrapper should be loaded inside FL Studio so as a VST for example

-A way to edit the Mackie Emulation mode of the BCF2000, or send feedback on the 'free controls'. (a group of unassigned controls in the Emulation Mode) In my midi monitor they are registered as pitchbend messages on a specific note ,but I can't manage to send pitchbend range on these notes back to my controller

-Software to edit/modify a plugin so parameter changes trigger midi out cc messages

-A solution from someone here?

I already tried so much, even got the demo of Midevice.com], comes very close but again no output from the virtual device on parameter changes.

All help is appreciated, I'm really getting stuck on this and the controllers are waiting for too long to get started..

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen

thank you for your reaction but as said these plugins don't do the trick. I know what they do and how they work, also have been trying to set them up as I want.

I can send a midi out message succesfully using the midi out plugin or dashboard. But it
s the vst plugins (equalizers, compressors in my case) that should sent the parameter feedback. You cant 'link' these vsts to the midi out

maybe this clears it all up a bit more. I'm quite experienced with fl studio and sure that i didnt forget any basic function here

Jeroen

I'm a little baffled about why you want to send VST commands from FL to a hardware controller.

What are you trying to accomplish by sending a MIDI CC from a virtual compressor to a hardware controller?

I've never heard of anyone trying to do what you are asking.

Last edited:
The reason I want to send midi out is because I want my equalizer, comp and fx settings to be remembered when i reload my project. I can ofcourse double link my hardware cc messages, so a second plugin (which does send midi out) also takes over my controller values. So then when i reload my project the midi out plugin sends the projectvalues to my controller, which sends it back to my vsts so i don't have te re-comp and equalize my project everytime.

Another option is to store the values on the behringer itself but then i'm only able to work on 1 project at the same time.

But in both these solutions i have no realtime output so automating values isnt possible. Also its jusr not an easy way to work.

Are you saying FL doesn't store your VST plugin values when you open your project?

That doesn't sound right.

they do ofcourse. But as soon as they are linked to a controller and i open my project at a later time, they get the value from the controller again which doesnt match to the one o set earlier ( working with different presets on the behringer)

That sounds more like a flaw in the BCR than in FL.

I can tell you my Akai MPK-49 doesn't do that when I open a new project, or even when I change patches. MIDI CC values don't change until I turn a knob or move a slider or push a button.

I would look through the BCR manual and figure out how to turn off those commands from automatically transmitting every time you open a new project.

It's not a flaw in the BCR, it's a lack of midi out from my plugin. Let's try a short example to clear this all up:

-Link (e.g.) motorfader to mainvolume inside FL (let's say its set to 100%)
-Save & Close project
-Move the fader (e.g. to 80%)
-Open project again
-The fader does not receive data from my plugin to sync. As a result, when i move the fader, my mainvolume jumps back to 80% and starts moving from there

I hope this makes ita bit more understandable

Thanks,

Jeroen

The only solution I can see remaining is to change the MIDI channel controlling the FX to "none" in order to lock your settings after you arrive at them in your original session, or maybe to use only channel 16 or some channel you don't normally use for tracking as the default channel for FX and only enable that channel when you want to change settings via hardware.

Back