MIDI only programs?

guitar ed

Can anyone tell me if there are any apps out there that are strictly for creating and editing MIDI? No audio, just MIDI. What are the heavy hitters, and does anyone make a midi-only app anymore? Thanks, and I'll keep searching in the meantime.

ed

I have several products for comparing. For simple sequencer :

• Trax for Windows from Passport
  • MIDIsoft Studio
  • Encore from Passport Design
  • Musictime
  • Finale from Coda Music Technology
  • Musicprose
  • Sequencer Plus from Voyetra
  • etc...

For Instant MIDI :
  • The Jammer
  • NKey2
  • etc...

For Powerfull MIDI works :
  • Cakewalk (Up to Version Proffesional 3 for MIDI only)
  • Master Tracks Pro
  • Cadenza
  • Cubase
  • Musicator GS
  • etc...

Unfortunatelly, most of them are not on the market anymore. They're ooollldd programs (Which are "for MIDI only" version). Newer versions of them available for dealing with audio at once. Google 'em for better info.
;)
Jaymz

I had Master Tracks pro. It was very cool, my first computer music Software.

I have to admit I am curious as to why you want this, I think you have Sonar or PA9, dont you?

I have a good times with Digital Orchestra Plus from voyetra, bundled with VAPI MIDI card years ago. And I found they are usefull and simpler for MIDI only projects.

I just want it to goof around with. Sometimes I noodle around with MIDI stuff in an experimental way, and rather than open Sonar and start a new project that I'm not gonna save anyway, I thought it would be convenient to just open a MIDI-only program. That's it, no big revelation there!!!

ed

Clemie said:
I have a good times with Digital Orchestra Plus from voyetra, bundled with VAPI MIDI card years ago. And I found they are usefull and simpler for MIDI only projects.
I agree! Years back, I used Midi Orchestrator and then upgraded to Digital Orchestrator. Both way easier to use than Cakewalk (early midi only versions). In fact, Digital Orchestrator never ever gave me any soundcard issues for midi or audio! I wish they still made it and upgraded it. Don't know if it'll work on Win2K or XP though. I bought it back in the Win95 days.

I used digital orch pro bundled with a montego II soundcard. There were some wierd things like the editor defaulting to 22050 sample rate, but the sequencer and program in general was easy to use. No XP support so I upgraded to an m-audio card.

I almost threw my computer out the window trying to use Cakewalk Express which came bundled with sound card.

Back