Midi note off

Fersteax

Hello.
I'm the owner of the Roland TD-10 drum module. I want to record my drums using Addictive Drums 2 and FL Studio. But there is a problem, that when I hit a drum pad, FL Studio shows me, that the midi note of the pad is off. How can I turn it on?
Will be very grateful for your help.

I'm confused When you hit the pad you should get two events - a MIDI note on at X time and a MIDI note off immediately afterwards. The length of these isn 't normally adjustable - they're just short a 64th note typically. I don't know FL studio, how does it deal with keyboard stabs? Does that show as a MIDI on, then a length. MIDI off messages are not displayed as events in many DAWs because it just confuses the list screens. So you don't really want to turn it on, because note off is half of the pair - the missing bit is the note on message.

I'm confused When you hit the pad you should get two events - a MIDI note on at X time and a MIDI note off immediately afterwards. The length of these isn 't normally adjustable - they're just short a 64th note typically. I don't know FL studio, how does it deal with keyboard stabs? Does that show as a MIDI on, then a length. MIDI off messages are not displayed as events in many DAWs because it just confuses the list screens. So you don't really want to turn it on, because note off is half of the pair - the missing bit is the note on message.
Ok. Thanks.
How to get this "note on" then? How can I make it everything work as it is supposed to?

It could simply be FL studio displays it differently - Every note event with MIDI has two components, Note on, and Note off messages, which have a time - so a duration of it being on, and the velocity usually reslved as the volume of each event. Drums are dealt with differently. The note off isn't needed. The snare drum sample uses the note on and the velocity attached to sound, and the note off isn't needed - the snare has silenced already. So the pad is more likely to be where you need to look. Does FL studio have some kind of list editor? I suppose you've turned off the drums own sounds MIDI setup will have something like local off as an option. This should then only send the midi data. When you connect your drum sound to this inout in FL studio, does anything happen at all? MIDI activity light or real sounds? I guess as your posting it doesn't.

Are you able to record any data (assuming FL studio can show you what is coming out). What I could do is try the MIDI file you have recorded in my Cubase and see if I can spot anything) record any old drum stuff, even if all it appears to have are note offs, and then let me have it as a .mid file. I'll happily try it on Cubase, but maybe somebody with FL would be better?

It could simply be FL studio displays it differently - Every note event with MIDI has two components, Note on, and Note off messages, which have a time - so a duration of it being on, and the velocity usually reslved as the volume of each event. Drums are dealt with differently. The note off isn't needed. The snare drum sample uses the note on and the velocity attached to sound, and the note off isn't needed - the snare has silenced already. So the pad is more likely to be where you need to look. Does FL studio have some kind of list editor? I suppose you've turned off the drums own sounds MIDI setup will have something like local off as an option. This should then only send the midi data. When you connect your drum sound to this inout in FL studio, does anything happen at all? MIDI activity light or real sounds? I guess as your posting it doesn't.

Are you able to record any data (assuming FL studio can show you what is coming out). What I could do is try the MIDI file you have recorded in my Cubase and see if I can spot anything) record any old drum stuff, even if all it appears to have are note offs, and then let me have it as a .mid file. I'll happily try it on Cubase, but maybe somebody with FL would be better?
Oh, to be honest the only thing I know about FL Studio is how to install plugins and how to enter MIDI and audio options menu. I'm new in all this stuff at all, so it is hard for me to understand anything the right way. Sorry for that.
But I'm sure that I didn't turn off a thing, I watch my actions...
And what in particular record? Mic or some midi stuff?

Plug the drums in via MIDI. use whatever sound producing gizmo you have and hit record. Does it record the drum hits so you can play it back? You say there are only note offs? How are you seeing this? What I mean is that you see the note off messages somehow? Assuming it doesn't play back, then can you save that as a MIDI file - i.e. one that ends in .mid then put a link to it or just drop me a note for my email and email it to me and I will check what is in the file.

You say it doesn't work as it should, and you know nothing - but you've not explained exactly what is not working. You say there are no note ons, but how do you know? It could simply be your Roland is sending the snare note on to a drum module you have loaded in FL Studio on a MIDI note number that isn't connected to anything. I've got a Yamaha that is not General MIDI, so when you play it you need to set up a drum map that might hear a D3 for the snare and then have to send that on to the drum VSTi as a C1 or something like that. We don't know what you are doing, process wise, because you've not told us?

Back