MIDI n00b seeks advice

I've been into home recording since Santa brought me my first tape deck, and got into computer-based audio recording in just the past few years. Lately though, I've been interested in virtual instruments but I have yet to purchase a midi controller.

The Korg nanoKEY caught my eye because I can afford to buy it today (if it was early enough for the store to be open), so I'm wondering: is it any good? There are plenty of other keyboards which cost a heck of a lot more.

Another thing, and this might be a stupid question but that's why we're called "n00bs": Do I need a midi drum pad to control virtual drums, or will a piano-style keyboard work too? Like I said, a stupid question, but my googles didn't tell me much.

Any tips would be most appreciated; thank you.

You can use a keyboard for drums but i don't think that one has velocity. So AFAIK all the notes will be at the same level and it won't sound realistic. You can always go in and edit the velocities later but that's a lot of velocity tweaking.

The model I've had my eye on is velocity-sensitive, but thanks for the quick reply. I got the answer I wanted right away; case closed.

Back