midi modules

cranberry71

anyone have any idea why i cant get any sound from my external midi module(emu planet phatt)thru cakewalk. My controller is a dummy keyboar with one midi out. so i go out of the controller, into the emu, out the emu into the soundcard. Still no sound, even after trying to play with the ports and source for tracks. Do i have to have an instrument definition, or I have also seen a diagram where a midi switcher was included. Do i really need this, even if i am only going thru one external module? any help id appreciated.

Now your rig is becoming more clearly defined. That "dummy" controller description threw me. My keyboard wasn't a "dummy" when I bought it; but I use a resistor to defeat the awful sounds. It is now... :)
Try running the keyboard MIDI out into the soundcard MIDI in, and the soundcard MIDI out into the EMU module MIDI in. With my module, although I use a separate MIDI port controller,(MQ 2PortSE) the "dummy" keyboard
MIDI signal goes into that controller, then into the PC, then back out of the PC, into the MQ 2PortSE before being routed to the module.

ok so that means the midi out on my emu is of no concern? guess i am wondering how output from emu gets into cakewalk. but i am off to rewire as you suggested. thanks

cranberry71....

ive been looking at the e mu planet phatt.. how do you like it so far ? any opinion would be greatly appreciated.. thanks...

- eddie -

The only output that needs to get back into Cakewalk from the EMU is audio. Use the audio line out on the EMU to the line in on the soundcard. Or put a mixer inbetween these two (EMU and soundcard) so you can add other channels and/or adjust EMU output level to the two inputs (left and right) on your soundcard.

Back