Midi Latency/ASIO4all/Sonar Confusion...

RickyT

I'm usually somewhat self-reliant.

I've learned the workings and the jargon of the audio world by pure determination and by doing as much research as I possibly can through books and online articles. I feel like I have a pretty acceptable understanding of audial know-how.

I am confused out of my freaking mind.

So here's the lowdown on my equipment:

HP Pavilion Laptop w/ 64bit Vista (it has 4gb of ram and a powerful cpu)
EMU 25 USB X-board Midi Controller
EMU 0404 USB Audio Interface
Sonar LE (I believe it's based around Sonar 4, but I could be wrong)

So, my main problem is that I have TERRIBLE latency when trying to play synth with my USB midi controller. I mean, really abhorrent; it's probably a good two or three seconds between when I press a key and when the sound comes out. I don't really know why this is - I have the latest drivers and such. I've been trying to google solutions and these are the ones I've tried but don't seem to be working (or I don't know how to do them):

Assuming it's not a problem with the USB connection (which I know it isn't), and it's definitely not from my CPU lagging behind from being overloaded (because my CPU stays down at like, 2% when I'm playing), I figured maybe I would try downloading ASIO4ALL drivers, which supposedly helps.

It makes no sense. I download the drivers, follow the install, then it tells me to activate the drivers within my recording software. Okay, sounds good. I go to Sonar LE, options > Audio > Drivers... not there. I've restarted and such a million times. I was sure to deselect Microsoft Wave Synth Table or whatever from the outputs. Doesn't change a thing. I have no idea how I'm supposed to use the ASIO4ALL drivers with sonar.

Well, another thing I saw is that it might be the synth I'm using. I was using some DXi synth that came with the program, so I thought, "well, I'll go download some free VSTi online and test that out."

Apparently, Sonar LE doesn't USE VSTi? I don't see any options for loading or running anything but DXi. What on earth. I'm so confused.

I feel like it shouldn't be this difficult to plug in a simple usb midi controller and play some synth. Am I doing something stupid? I really don't want to go out and buy a sound card - that's the entire reason I got the 0404 USB audio interface. Why isn't it working? And why is ASIO4ALL being so difficult to install?

I'm sort of doing this as a last resort. I've seriously done everything I can to figure it out on my own. Thanks for any help you may provide!

Apparently I was a little preemptive. I just realized that in options > audio > advanced, you can choose what driver mode to use. So I put that on ASIO and the drivers are working correctly and the latency is totally gone. Thank goodness.

However, if someone could still answer the question about VSTis running on Sonar LE I would appreciate it!

Well, according to this article, Sonar LE does support VSTi's. Try going through the manual(???) and see

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul05/articles/sonarnotes.htm

I'm curious how ASIO4ALL gives lower latency than the EMU ASIO drivers. Are you sure you've got it set up properly. I know EMU's manuals aren't the most intuituve to read (they suck, actually), but you should be able to get decent results from it.

Back