MIDI lag during recording

Cazzbar

Throbbing Member
Hi, I have just purchased V3.3 of n-track.

I have set up two tracks, one to record the Audio from a keyboard and the other to record the Midi from the same keyboard at the same time. I am playing in time with n-track's metronome.

After recording you can see a clear timing difference in the two graphs for each track- the Midi graph is lagging behind the Audio graph. I was hoping the two graphs would line up.

The Audio recording is in time with the metronome, but the Midi is about a quarter of a second (250ms) behind the metronome.

I have to drag the Midi graph left to synchronise it with the Audio graph and the metronome.

Is there a way I can record to remove this lag from the Midi track?

Please note this isn't a problem with a MIDI lag during playback (I'm not using a software synth) and once I manually line up the two tracks they stay in time with each other on playback, it's a problem with the recording phase as you can quite clearly see after recording the MIDI has taken slightly longer to get into the system and record than the Audio.

Thanks for your time.

My system:

Processor: PIII 866Mhz
Memory: 256Meg
Sound card: Aardvark direct pro 24/96 (using ASIO drivers, built in MIDI interface)
Keyboard: Roland A90
Recording options: 16bit, 44.1Hz

Don't worry, I've sorted it.

If you set the Midi 'timer to use' as Wave instead of System Timer during the recording process everything appears nicely in sync, which is cool.

I previously set this option but only before playback as I assumed anything to do with timers was a playback thing. D'oh

By the way, how come I've been using this great forum for about 4 years now yet I'm still a 'newbie' ? :confused: :p

Hey Cazzbar, I'm amazed you are even bothering to use the midi in Ntrack. :) Anyway, it's good to see it's working for you.

Hi morindae, I'm currently recording a band with an electric drum kit. Previously I've just recorded the audio from the kit, but drummers being drummers ;) they're never happy and want to repeat a roll or something.

So next time I'm going to record the Midi, this will make after edits far simpler.

Also will do the same now with my keyboard, having the Midi available will allow me to change the piano sounds before the final mix. Thinking of upgrading my synth soon so will be able to record all the improved sounds without having to re-play my bits :)

Good luck with that Cazzbar. let us know how you get on with the midi in Ntrack. Most of us that use Ntrack dislike its midi. However, it would be nice to hear that someone is making it work. I have to use Cubase for my midi applications because it is so much more stable in that department.

The drummer came round last night... he played along perfectly to the click, I played it back and ... yep, you've guessed it... the click and the drums were having their own private parties! same old problem, made him sound really dodgy... he said ringo starr must have recorded here.

There's too much pressure being the one guy in the band who half knows about recording, there's always problems at every turn and the rest of the guys just moan and throw their beer cans at you!

I've always used Cubase for Midi, and yes it is spot on. But now I'm recording live guitars and vocals the old program can't process audio in the way n-track can.

So I've been looking for that elusive all in one solution, without wanting to spend hundreds of pounds (again).

I managed to drag the guy's drumming back in line and he was again happy. He was impressed I could quickly change all his splashes to crashes and fill in a missing snare with my mouse!

So it looks like I'll be using n-track for a while... I'll be happy to listen to any alternative ideas though.

Cheers,
Cazz.

ps Just been reading reading all the bad comments here about Midi in n-track. I originally downloaded v3.0 and it did crash everytime I switched the input signal to Midi ! But I must say v3.3 is quite stable. You can easily group select notes, move them around and change their velocities. Manually delete and insert notes, I don't think it's too bad at all. I just have this delay problem, easily adjustable afterwards though.

Last edited:
Back