MIDI Keyboard

Azza666

Hi all,

I am really new to all of this and really need some help/advice on how to use my new MIDI keyboard.

Basically I brought the model at http://www.binarydesigns.com.au/bdstore/ESIKC49.html and it arrived yesterday with a USB cable.

I plugged it in and installed the drivers, but how the heck do i play the thing? What software should I be using? Do I need to set it up in the software or what?

I pretty much just want to give it cool sounds like a drum kit, violin, etc etc and be able to record it to mix other stuff like my guitars and that.

Another friend of mine said that you need a proper sound card and MIDI cable..... does this mean i should buy a new soundcard that specifically supports midi and plug the keyboard into this instead of the USB?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb as they probably are lol I just dont know where to start!!

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

:)

Hi all,

I am really new to all of this and really need some help/advice on how to use my new MIDI keyboard.

Basically I brought the model at http://www.binarydesigns.com.au/bdstore/ESIKC49.html and it arrived yesterday with a USB cable.

I plugged it in and installed the drivers, but how the heck do i play the thing? What software should I be using? Do I need to set it up in the software or what?

I pretty much just want to give it cool sounds like a drum kit, violin, etc etc and be able to record it to mix other stuff like my guitars and that.

Another friend of mine said that you need a proper sound card and MIDI cable..... does this mean i should buy a new soundcard that specifically supports midi and plug the keyboard into this instead of the USB?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb as they probably are lol I just dont know where to start!!

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

Don't worry about asking questions in the newbies section. That's what it's here for.

Give the manual a good read through. It's probably got the answers to most of your questions.

cheers.

If you are planning on recording with it and recording other instruments, you will need an interface to get the sound into your computer.
get one with Firewire - if you are running too much on a USB, everything will bog down as USB uses the computer's CPU. Firewire doesn't.

Note: that keyboard is just (and only) that, a keyboard (in other words a controller), and you need software to create the sounds (you didn't mention what software you have, if any).

Hi all,

Many thanks in advance

Cheers

The keyboard you have is a 'dumb' keyboard, i.e. it has no internal sounds, and simply sends midi commands up the USB cable to your computer.

You therefore need something for your keyboard to work on. So you will need to get a music program with midi capability. There are free ones you can download from the web.

You can then start making music, using your computer's soundcard. You will be able to select different voices . . . drum kit, violins, etc.

This is the most basic thing you need to do to get started, but you may find it unsatisfactory. It is likely that the sounds will not be as good as you expected, and you may experience latency problems (a delay between the time you press a ket and the note sounds).

If this is disturbing and you want better, then it is time to look at soundcards or interfaces designed specifically for recording music.

oh ok i sort of understand now lol

what software would you recommend using to make cool sounds like a drum kit, violin, etc?

also im just a bit unclear on this firewire..... should i use that for the keyboard instead of usb?

im thinking of getting a new soundcard that has midi, and then running the keyboard through the midi on the soundcard - is this the best way to go here?

thanks for all the help and advice guys i really appreciate it!!

cheers :)

oh ok i sort of understand now lol

what software would you recommend using to make cool sounds like a drum kit, violin, etc?

also im just a bit unclear on this firewire..... should i use that for the keyboard instead of usb?

im thinking of getting a new soundcard that has midi, and then running the keyboard through the midi on the soundcard - is this the best way to go here?

thanks for all the help and advice guys i really appreciate it!!

cheers :)

there are many sound cards to chose from and you will probably find on a lot of budget ones that you will only get 5-pin midi like:
http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PRSFIREBOX
this is what i use but i also have a midi usb keyboard like your keyboard which i still use through usb not through the soundcard.
the firebox can be used for all your mics and guitars and basses and stuff but you need a firewire input on your comp .
for some good sounds check KVRaudio.com for freebies but you need software to run them through. i know this is the newbie section and im still a newbie myself but...
something like cubase le/ pro tools/ableton would get you started as a mixer then...
you need to look a virtual instruments that will give you the sounds you are looking for.
your keyboard is just a means of sending electrical messages to your comp which cubase interprets as information and then transfers it into sound via the VSTI (Virtual Instrumets) virtual intruments have different plug in names for the different software it is being used for Im sorry i only know cubase which is VST
they have come along way in a short time check out native instruments (google it) some free demos
also good drums are
BFD
EZDrummer
Battery 3
but free ones come with cubase that will give you an idea
as for violins etc shop around try some demos there is so much on offer.
you little keyboard can go a long way with the right software.
sorry im not the best at explaining things the best way i go off on a tangent very easily lol
hope it helps.
Also i read the website Tweakheadz.com the guide.
taught me a lot about everything to do with recording and has helped a lot. also does good reviews on software
Ben

Back