midi keyboard

cpc

i'm just getting started with midi...have been creating tracks with fruity loops using my mouse and think its time to step up to a midi keyboard/control interface type thing. i was wondering what is recomended around here as a good beginner keyboard. i was thinking for springing for a 500 dollar yamaha i found at best buy but i dont have midi on my m-audio mobile pre soundcard so usb is pretty much needed. and midi control is probably more important to me right now than an actual keyboard. ive been looking around at musicians friend and zzounds and have found a few different cheap m-audio models...such as the oxygen 8..the o2, the radium, and keystation. they are all around 100-150 dollars and i cant tell the difference between any of them really besides number of keys. i would probably prefer a 49 key one, but the compact size of the 25 keys are also appealing..so either one i would be fine with. i'm just looking for a decent quality. also i hear of a couple other brands that make good inexpensive ones. any recomendations? i'd appreciate it.

In the not-too-distant future you'll probably be wanting an audio interface as well, and this would probably be a good choice even though it has only 25 keys.

MAudio pitches this one as being 'good for beginners' but unless your planning to be a beginner for a while you'll probably soon outgrow it.

Emu is a respected name in modules, but I've not heard anything good or bad about this one. This is one that comes with extras though - a Proteus 'Desktop Module' with 1000 sounds --- it's not clear from the test whether this is a hardware unit or a software instrument, not that it really matters.

And one more for good measure --- the one on the current market that I wish I owned. It has a joystick, is very durable and comes with a very comprehensive editor/librarian for you to quickly update profiles for all your software and hardware synths and DAWs.

well, i already have an audio interface in my m-audio mobile pre, and a few mics..as i'm primarily a vocalist. but thanks for the other recomendations...the keystation 49e was one of the top ones i was already looking at because i like the 49 keys and the pitch bender on the left of the keys rather than on top, but it seems to have less knobs/features as the radium/oxygen 8 for around the same price. can anyone clarify the differences and purposes between these different models or make any other recomendations?

he one on the current market that I wish I owned. It has a joystick, is very durable and comes with a very comprehensive editor/librarian for you to quickly update profiles for all your software and hardware synths and DAWs.

have you ever played around with the programing interface on that thing? I set up a small pre-production studio last summer and the ppl I was working for insisted on that Korg. I had high expectations but I was back there several times trying to help them get it set up and I have to say, the software is the worst I have ever seen (even worse than Emu patchmix). Also, The drum pads are also REALLY squishy, which I cannot stand (used to MPC pads maybe)

also... will a usb midi controller be all i need? i assume i dont need any form of midi cables or midi inputs on my soundcard since its usb?

and finally... fruity loops has a "type keyboard to piano" as an option, so you can use your computers typing keyboard as a cheap controller....when i do this i experience no latency. so when i get a keyboard controller can i expect the same? thanks for any replies

well i'm not looking for anything too fancy, but maybe a couple knobs or a pitch bender would be nice. the main ones i'm looking at right now would be the m-audio keystation 49e and the m-audio radium 49. they're about the same price. could someone explain to me the main benefits or differences of features in both? also, what would be the difference in buying a 100 dollar keyboard controller, and a 100 dollar keyboard with midi... wouldnt the keyboard be better since you could use it as a keyboard as well as a control? i'm sure theres a reason why this is inaccurate, im just wondering what it may be.

edit-(sorry im a bit of a newb, im not being lazy..i read the product specs and all i really see is gibberish, i've never used a midi controller before, i just want a basic setup to get me started and goof around with, but nothing that will be crap and regret buying)

riznich said:
wouldnt the keyboard be better since you could use it as a keyboard as well as a control?
Sure. But for you and your experience level it would probably create more problems that you'd get back in benefits.

Best to stick with the simplest solution and buy this. You could go for the 'blemished' one and put the money you save toward 2-day shipping...

alright, thanks alot for all the replies and help sscientist.

if you dont mind one more, or for anyone else to answer... what would be the difference between the keyboard you just showed me, the m-audio radium/oxygen49 and m-audio keystation 49? would they all be compatable and easy to use with fruity loops? or should i maybe look into reason or cakewalk. i want a basic keyboard controller like i said, but i dont want one that im going to have to upgrade in a month or two. so if there are any features i should need or recommend please do so. i'm not by any means new to playing keyboard or creating music.... just midi controllers.

Last edited:
For a beginner to midi as well I have been quite happy with the Radium 49.

I also happen to like M-audio stuff as I generally find it to be a good value. I would spend the extra money and wait the extra couple of days and get the Radium instead of an "off-brand" keyboard if it was me.

For automation (if and when you get there) it will be nice to have the extra knobs that the radium offers as well.

The "Oxygen" 49 from what I gather has some extra buttons on it ("15 assignable buttons, including 6 transport buttons")

and has ("Included Enigma librarian/editor for storing and organizing setups
") so more in-depth midi control (which I personally would probably not know how to use.)

thanks for the response, not to sound like a jerk but i understand that these models come with more knobs and sliders and transport and all whatever those are....the problem is, i just see this as gibberish...can anyone tell me what these knobs/faders/sliders/transport/led screens/banks/other things can be used for etc?

The LED screen on the radium screen can tell you what octave you are on which is helpful when you go down a couple octaves for making bass lines etc. You can use the faders and knobs on the Radium for a poor mans automation. This means that with the right software you can automate things like volume or panning. This means that you could assign one of the physical knobs on the radium to control the volume for "track 4" which might be the vocal that you recorded (or the midi piano line etc.) When the recording software is setup correctly and automation enabled, you can play the song and move around the fader on the midi keyboard. These movements will be recorded, and when you playback the song again (in the right mode and with the right settings,) you will see and hear the fader movements (for volume in this case) duplicated within the recording software. Hope this makes sense?

Back