MIDI is stuttering!

lkmuller

I'm using a Roland SC8850 connected to a Layla 24, connected to a new Dell 8200 P4 w/512 RAM running at 1.7 ghz with Windows XP Home Edition. Ever since I got the computer, the midi playback has been stuttering, with some notes cutting out, etc.

Some I've spoken too blame the XP, others blame DELL because of all the resident programs that load up on startup. I've run with the bare minimum open, and still get the problem.

Anyone out there with a similar setup having the same probem, or anyone out there with a similar setup NOT having the same problem?

Lee

Thanks much for the reply,

Can you describe what a midi loop is? I've heard the term but don't know what it is.

Thanks again,

Lee

Hi,

The SC8850 is a module. I have the "midi out" from my Layla24 soundcard going to the "midi in" of the SC8850. Then I have the "audio out" from the SC8850 going to a Mackie mixer, which goes into the "audio in" of the Layla24.

Thanks,

Lee

hmm. Not a midi loop then. You would need the Roland to be sending midi for that to be a possibility.

You have plenty of horsepower and XP isnt really a problem unless the drivers for the Layla are poor. You should make sure you have the latest drivers for it installed and that they support XP.

The only other issue would be your software. What are you sequencing with?

I thik I got it

Hi, thanks for replying again. I'm sequencing with Cubase. The problem seems to have gone away (fingers crossed), though. I disabled the automatice update feature and closed all the unnecessary programs running with "enditall". Stutttering hasn't hapenned yet, so I'm hoping that's the solution.

Lee

Back