MIDI Interface

Neotrix

Hi, right now I have better understanding on how MIDI works and how it gets it signals, etc. I have a Casio CTK-630 and its pretty crappy, but I'll use it anyway since it has a MIDI in/out put. I'm using a labtop to record my musics and since it doesnt have a soundcard, I guess I need to buy a MIDI interface to connect my keyboard to my comp. However, I dont know which interface to buy. Any suggestion would be nice. Thx in adv
PS: Just wanna make sure that my Casio can be used as MIDI controller according to a rig I found

Attachments

• MIDI.gif
    MIDI.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 131
Yeah you can use your Casio fine aslong as you get an interface. Assuming you only want 1 keyboard connected at all times, wont be using any external modules or anything, this interface will work fine: http://www.dv247.com/invt/9263

Or if you want to use more than one: http://www.dv247.com/invt/9262

I would personally recommend the second, for an extra few pounds your potential to upgrade is much better and you can fit an external sound module or anything with this fine.

Good luck!

Thx for replying back and yes I would buy the second one, however, my casio doesnt have a Thru Out so I guess it cant be upgraded... :( O well. Any one else have a suggestion?

Doesnt matter, if you plugged IN & OUT into the interface, then you can run the thru on the interface into an external mod. :)

Thx again for replying back. Now I talked to my friend who knows more about homerecording and he said that if I use a MIDI interface, there will be a small delay, by the time when the comp receives the signal? Is this true? :confused:

Its called Latency, which EVERYTHING has whether its USB, Firewire or PCI. Latency can be a problem but you can always sort it out, dont worry about it. If it was a problem, they wouldnt sell them would they :)

MIDI latency has never really been an issue; it's the latency in a computer creating an audio signal via a softsynth in response to MIDI messages that's an issue. The same thing exists with a computer taking an incoming audio signal, passing it through to an effects plug-in in real time, an then back into to the playback stream. In the "old days" (3-4 years ago), you couldn't do this very effectively, but now most decent audio interfaces have drivers that allow latencies under 10 ms, which is for practical purposes pretty negligible unless, perhaps, you are playing complex Frank Zappa pieces at very fast tempos...

Everything has this issue to some degree -- signals do not propagate instantly, they can only go as fast as the speed of light at best. But these lags are so small they are unnoticeable. More noticeable delays are introduced by the speed of sound. The time delay between you playing your electric guitar and hearing what comes out of the speakers becomes more significant the further awy from the amp that you stand. The differences between what each player hears from the others on the bandstand introduces way more latency issues that 5 ms in a WDM driver does... that's why the hardware latencies are unnoticeable, and if computer processing latencies are kept down below 10 ms, they are also indiscernable...

James Argo said:
Anyway, what synth would you use to make the sound (beside the Casio)?
You know, come to think of it, I have no clue... :p If get enough $$$. I'll probably buy one used, but thats not going to happen for awhile

Connect your bass guitar? I think youve got MIDI mixed up mate, unless your using MIDI controllers on your bass you cant plug it into a midi interface. Look up MIDI on these forums and read what its all about, sounds like your confused.

Tifstorey said:
Connect your bass guitar? I think youve got MIDI mixed up mate, unless your using MIDI controllers on your bass you cant plug it into a midi interface. Look up MIDI on these forums and read what its all about, sounds like your confused.

You are right, I know nothing about MIDI stuff, :rolleyes:
But thanks for the advise, I'll be reading a lot about MIDI stuff in these forums.

Back