MIDI in/out

slinky

Hi friends,
I`m not a complete newbie, but I feel like one where MIDI is concerned! I have a long standing issue with the midi ports and what is connected to what. I guess the problem is rather than plugging in physical cables, it`s all virtual. I don`t have any outboard equipment apart from an amp and monitors. So I am having problems with MIDI ports for my sound card and synths. I`m getting the old `this port is being used by another application` message. I have tried using midi yoke and hubis loopback with no success. I now feel that if I REALLY understood midi, I could conquer this.
Any clues would be welcome.

Yamaha sw1000xg sound card
xg pad
Cubase sx
Windows xp

Hi Slinky,

What are you using MIDI for? And what are you using to trigger the midi on your computer?

Hi Tifstorey

I`m composing midi tracks into cubase which I then combine/mix with audio tracks and then mixdown. I use keyboard and mouse in the editors to compose the tunes in midi.

I'll assume your playing midi tracks in Cubase, and trying to control the sw1000xg with XG Pad, right? I know the sw1000xg has it's own midi multi-client drivers which are explained somewhat on their dedicated website.
Hubi's will not work with XP, and midi-ox/midiyoke is unecessarily complicated, but works just fine. I'd recommend a small app called Maple or another called Buzy Bee (or something like that, google for "XP midi multiclient drivers"). Thes two applications offer the simplest midi device you'll see.

The trick to using both Cubase and XG Pad simultaneously:

in Cubase use sw1000xg as midi out
use (maple 1,midiyoke 1,buzybee) as midi in

in XG Pad use (maple 1,midiyoke 1,buzybee) as midi out....period !

The sw1000xg has two separate synths. One is the xg voices which are there with you in cubase. There are many more voices which exist in xg edit but these are handled separately. It`s these `extras` that I want to use. I can`t imagine why they designed it like this. Hubis loopback used to work for me when I was using cubase vst5 and win 98. but you say it`s not good for xp which explains a lot.

I use the MU100R, which is basically an external sw1000xg. You need to abandon Hubi's once and for all if you use XP.

Hey Mikemorgan,
I got the maple device and after a bit of messing I got the stuff to work. So now all those magical xgpad voices are MINE!!!! for the picking

Thanks for your help.

Slink :D

Back