midi help with protools i/o

Buddy Lee

I have a boss DR-5 drum machine and I'm using it with a protools 5.1/digi001 system for pc (with digidesign i/0).

The problem I'm having is I'm trying to use the midi option and I'm not getting any type of signal. I have midi out from the boss to the digi i/o.

Is the problem through drum machine or i/o? Or is it the setup with the software?

I'm just trying to lay down midi drums from my drum machine to my computer. I'm using the midi out from my drum machine to the midi in on the digidesign, which is going to the soundcard i/o

It's impossible to give too much info on your situation and we still don't have enough. You need to be very specific.

Are you expecting audio signals to go through midi? (They don't BTW). Are you getting any type of midi activity lights on your computer? Are you wanting to record midi and audio or just one? Have you tried another midi cable? Have you done any midi configuration in PT or windows?

I think he's just trying to hit the Drum machine's pad, and record MIDI... am I right ? first, check your MIDI physical devices & connection (port, cables, etc) make sure they are on good conditions, and hooked properly. Also make sure you're route them properly. Some sound card > MIDI adapter put MIDI in & out in reverse order. ( Out to Out and In to In rather than Out to In and In to Out ). Then, make sure you select right MIDI port in the PT's option. Make sure also you run thru same global MIDI channel match the DR & PT to comunicate. Check your DR's setting. I don't know one but some devices alows you to send MIDI Out or keep it internal. Post back the result... ;)

Back