Midi Help!!! Please

geeq

I'm quite frustrated of trying to configure my keyboard setup.. here's the problem.. I can't get my midi track (from computer) to play to my sound module (Turbo Phatt)...

here's my equipment:
MIDI Controller = Evolution MK225C
Sound Module = E-Mu Turbo Phatt (upgraded version)
PC
Midi cable (joystick-midi)
Sound Cards: M-Audiophile & a cheap PC sound card..

note: I can't use audiophile for midi-out cuz I don't have a cable which has a smaller port than joystick.. i use the card for recording..

anyways, here's the route..
midi controller (midi-out) ======= (midi in A) sound module
*works good*..

midi controller (usb) ======= (usb port) pc
*works good*..

midi controller (midi-out) ========== (joystick port-midi in) sound card
*works good*..

ok, i can program/record midi tracks to my pc now.. the thing is..
i can't midi-out em so the module can play em from the computer..

(joystick port-midi out) ========= (midi in A) sound module
*doesn't work... i don't hear any sounds*...

I've tried to hook it up with midi B, using the same pattern as above.. it seems midi B, doesn't work.. i don't know why..
I tried to hook up from
(joystick port-midi out)========== (midi in B) sound module..
*my computer crash!!* then the cable get hot..

Can you guys please help me out.. i've been tryin' to figure this midi setup for more than 3 months.. well what i did was just hook up my midi controller to my sound module, then output the sounds direct to my Audiophile card or mixer... but i wanna work with midis.. I think it's much easier working with midi..

by the way, what the hell is MIDI THRU???

(joystick port-midi out) ========= (midi in A) sound module
*works good*..

Either (1) the port is bad, or (2) you have the wrong settings in your recording software and the MIDI messages are not coming out this port, or (3) the sound module is set to respond only to messages on one MIDI channel, which it's not receiving.

(joystick port-midi out)========== (midi in B) sound module..
*my computer crash!!* then the cable get hot..

Well, that seems to strongly suggest possibility 1.

note: I can't use audiophile for midi-out cuz I don't have a cable which has a smaller port than joystick..

Why not just get one?

by the way, what the hell is MIDI THRU???

A MIDI Thru port takes whatever MIDI messages are coming in the device's MIDI In port and reproduces them. So a MIDI cable from the MIDI Thru will carry a copy of what's coming in the MIDI In.

"Either (1) the port is bad"

I don't think the port is bad, cuz i am able to record midi in data with my midi controller..
--midi controller (midi-out) ========== (joystick port-midi in) sound card
*works good*..

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"(2) you have the wrong settings in your recording software and the MIDI messages are not coming out this port,"

I've tried various combinations with the midi settings to see if it works..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"(3) the sound module is set to respond only to messages on one MIDI channel, which it's not receiving."

what do u mean? like it is set not receive midi data??? umm.. I tried to hook up my midi controller to the sound module's midi in.. it works..
--midi controller (midi-out) ======= (midi in A) sound module
*works good*..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
note: I can't use audiophile for midi-out cuz I don't have a cable which has a smaller port than joystick..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not just get one?

------------ well the reason why I can't get one, is because I live in the Philippines.. they don't sell audiophile cables here.. I ordered the card thru the internet, it took loooong before it gets here.. ;(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

by the way, how come the audiophile midi port is smaller than the joystick port.. are there any conversation cable that makes the midi-joystick cable be able to hook up with the card? anyways, if there are suggestions or help, please post em.. cuz i really need to get this thing to work, asap.. thanks for those who replied..

Back