MIDI help needed!

rythefly

Hey,

I have no MIDI experience but I would like to figure out the easiest way (and for the least amount of money) to sequence the sounds inside my yamaha synth.

What do I need to buy so I can record sequenced sounds from my synth?

I have a boss DR-5 that sequences it's internal sounds but am I able to use it to sequence external sounds? if so, how?

Thanks

you need a computer with a midi in/out interface. try tyhe demo of what i use. a superb midi sequencer. powertracks from pgmusic.com.
29 bucks, if you doubt me talk to users like me on the powertracks forum at pg. it does 48 tracks midi and or audio . you will need some sort of sound card that does asudio and midi.

manning1 said:

I went to pgmusic.com on your advice manning1 and found they have now raised the price to $49...I downloaded the demo and the jury's still out.

Still a bargain maybe, but do they have some sinister way of knowing that I am a denizen of the lower 48? Do they have one price for Canadians and one price for ugly USA dwellers?

scientist. i'm gonna check that.
as far as i know - AND WAS NOT LYING - you could get it for 29 bucks
by downloading and registering. it was even advertised as such in electronic musician.
it was my understanding the 49 dollar one came with all sorts of other fancy things/added CD's/added booklet etc etc .
maybe the new version 9 released ...price has changed.
anyway i would check with some on line retailers.
its still a steal imho .
i'm gonna check the price.

you are correct scientist. it looks like the price has changed with the new version 9 that just came out. i was not aware of that.
prolly because the new version includes the TC helicon harmonisation plug in i guess which allows you to create vocal harmonys.
i think prolly they must have upped the price possibly because they have to
pay some fee to TC for the helicon feature.
i still think its a great price for what you get.
as i said i would try an on line retailer.
3 points in set up....
1. make sure you tell ptpa which audio/midi drivers to use and let it scan.
2. TY column - very important. click the midi plug and it turns to mono wave or stereo recording on the track.
3. make your own custom template to save setting up the TY on each track every time you start a song. save template as a small seq file.
seq saves all settings FYI for example tracks, mixer etc.
for example when i start a new song i bring in template with say 28 audio tracks mono. 10 stereo and 10 midi. then immeditely save it under my new song name as a seq. then when i finish working on the song i save the whole song under that new name. notice how quickly songs load on boot up this way.
peace, and if ya got Q's just ask.
by the way the jury already decided. this package has won awards ,
and been in use for years by thousands and thousands of musicians.
the problem is some newbies dont know about it.

manning1 said:
by the way the jury already decided.

Has it now! Not the jury I personally impaneled -- they are on lunch right now but when they get back they'll reach a quick and impartial verdict... :D

I've tried yours, now it's only fair that you try mine!

Mine is Tracktion, also a seemingly odd choice for a studio that could afford any sequencer on the market. D/L the demo here:

http://www.mackie.com/products/tracktion/

And visit the support forum here:

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

sscientist. already tried traktion. fine program.
obviously a very talented computer software engineer wrote it.
the only thing i found, AND I"M not knocking it.
my eyesite is not good as i get older.
i had problems with the visual rather than the operational aspects.

also sscientist in the case of visual aspects. i find myself liking the approach
multitrackstudio.com took. nice simple tape recorder some would say interface. very clean. just my opinion.
now lets talk TECHNICALLY. sawstudio was done in low level assembler. a very good product imho. also a very good TECHNICAL implementation.
but for MY EYES the visuals seemed to disturb me once again.

Back