MIDI from Yamaha p105 into MacBook Pro

ZikO

Hi

I have just noticed my Yamaha P105 does not have a MIDI IN/OUT. I was wondering if it's possible to connect it to MacBook Pro to send and receive MIDI signals. It has USB-HOST though. In manual they say this is for saving files in comp.

I would like to use P105 either directly with Mac or with Focusrite Scarlett 24 to save MIDI sequence in DAW and then play it back from DAW on the piano.

I am totally new to these things. Hope someone can help. Thnx.

Last edited:
Apparently it's possible, according to the brochure. Have you actually tried it to see if it works?

It's not going to blow up.

Apparently it's possible, according to the brochure. Have you actually tried it to see if it works?

It's not going to blow up.

No, I haven't. I was asking about what peoples' experience are in this, not if I damage anything.

I found a PDF P-105 MIDI Reference and it looks like I need to connect the piano straight to computer via USB 2.0 A - USB 2.0 B cable. I have never done it before. I hope it is easy to setup if I have to setup anything at all.

I was also wondering what the options are if I want to use this keyboard as a MIDI controller or connect it to the focusrite audio interface and any "converters" from USB to MIDI which would work.

Google is your friend: Right in the product page---

The P-105 is equipped with USB TO HOST to connect directly to your computer for use with various education, notation and music production applications. There's also an AUX LINE OUT to connect to a computer sound card, mixing console or powered speakers - great for recording or performing live. Since it's a true line-output, the built-in speakers remain on for monitoring as opposed to switching OFF when using the more common headphone output.

Yes it's the same as hooking up a midi cable to a midi keyboard and then using a midi>usb converter box.
NOTE - midi has no sound, you will need a vsti in the computer to make sounds from the midi performance information.

If you dont already have a sequencing program, Garageband will work (and has sounds built in) or you can try out Reaper for free.

No, I haven't. I was asking about what peoples' experience are in this, not if I damage anything.

I found a PDF P-105 MIDI Reference and it looks like I need to connect the piano straight to computer via USB 2.0 A - USB 2.0 B cable. I have never done it before. I hope it is easy to setup if I have to setup anything at all.

I was also wondering what the options are if I want to use this keyboard as a MIDI controller or connect it to the focusrite audio interface and any "converters" from USB to MIDI which would work.

There are about 20 people who regularly answer questions here. The chances of one of them having your exact keyboard are slim. I don't get why you're asking theoretical questions about a piece of gear you actually have. Try it and see.

I answered based on googling exactlly the same thing that Tim posted. That's probably as good as you're going to get.

Do you mean Scarlet 2i4, not 24?. It has MIDI in and OUT so you could use a normal keyboard with MIDI plugs with it however I don't see how you connect your Yamaha P105 to it without some sort of reverse USB to MIDI device. Perhaps ask in either the MIDI forum below or zero in on a Yamaha forum or FAQ site, assuming such things exist. You could try a standard MIDI to USB cable and see if that worked, they're not expensive. If it does, problem solved.

Things invariably require a degree of setting up - we battle, we learn, we overcome, we move forward to the next thing. I doubt this will be any different. Try it and see and tell us what you find, is my advice. ;)

Back