MIDI files not all created equal????

whymark

Hi all, I'm not sure exactly where to post this but, am trying here first ....I'm using Sibelius First 7 to score some of my solo piano projects. The SMFs were created on my Disklavier. When I open them in Sibelius, everything is notated on the treble clef even though I have set it up to split the keyboard at C4. I can jump through some hoops and get two treble clefs and one bass clef but, everything is still notated on the treble clef. I've been playing since dirt was new but, still have problems trying to read an E2 notated in the treble clef.....v-e-r-y long downward pointing stems with a multiplicity of hash marks. the file plays perfectly though......... When I open a file that I've lifted off of the net, the score is perfect.....even ensemble parts are scored perfectly and the file also plays perfectly. I can't reach anyone from Sibelius for help but, did hook up with a tech with Sweetwater who is as baffled as I am. Until now, I naively thought that all SMFs were the same.....I guess I was fooled by the meaning of "S"= STANDARD....how silly of me....can anybody help me with this one??? I don't think type 0 Vs type 1 files is pertinent but, HEY...I've already demonstrated my ignorance on the subject......many thanks is advance.....Mark

You need a Sibelius expert. I've experienced that problem before.

I have SIbelius on my machine, but I don't use it (except occasionally)/y daughter installed it because she does a lot of scoring.

I've created midi in Logic and created a split piano score. I then export the midi file and load it into Sibelius, and Sib sees it as a single file on the treble clef. Nor is there an easy way of splitting it in Sib. I think my daughter may have solved it for me once, but I can't remember how. In the end, I don't worry about Sib, and just use the scoring in Logic.

Gecko, have your daughter contact me!!!!....whymark@aol.com......I tried to score with Cubase and ran into several problems and somebody on this forum suggested Sibelius so I went that way. Again, the files lifted from the net score beautifully even with numerous ensemble parts but, the Disklavier produced MIDIs only score from the treble clef......seems like there's something amiss with the Disklavier files but, I don't know enough to figure it out.....many thanks anyway

As far as I know, the issue is that keyboard splits are not part of a MIDI file unless/until you assign each split section a separate MIDI channel---if your keyboard allows that. When I get some time I'll double check this but, for now, I think that's what is going on here. Split data is probably saved a part of your proprietary setups/scenes but not as part of a GM/SMF. All of this is generally easily handled in most DAWs.

Paj
8^)

Back