Midi editing and controller lane question...

xstatic

I don't know much about midi and don't use it much, but occasionally I do basic triggering and piano vsti's. I have noticed that the sustain pedal records in its own controller lane. The problem I have is when spiting a midi track and moving it. It seems that when I do this the sustain controller lane remains unaffected and does not move with the rest of the track. As a result, the sustain pedal ends up in the wrong place for the newly sequenced track. How do you do an edit on the sustain control layer and how do I manually adjust the sustain off and on positions? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

How do you edit your MIDI tracks? Try selecting the MIDI track and selecting the key editor under the MIDI menu in the toolbar. Down at the bottom left of that window, there is a drop down menu that you can open and edit (manually) the note velocity, volume, etc. There might be a way to make it to where it brings up the sustain and you can edit it that way. Or, try opening up a key editor window for both the MIDI track and the track for the controller and zooming in on both when cutting and moving parts, that way you can keep them both as close as possible.

Hopefully I understood your problem right.... Hope it helps regardless!

I would add that when you open the controller lanes in key editor, ones that are in use will have an asterisk next to them so you can find them easily. You can also automate it like any other CC in the inspector (main) window by just adding a controller lane for CC64. Finally, sustain is an ON/OFF deal so once the target recieves it, it will stay on until it is turned off

I will try and do a better job explaining and see if it helps.....

In this example I will say that I have recorded a track through midi from a keyboard. In the middle of the take the performer screwed up and paused, then played a part really quick to practice, then played again as the real take. NOw I have to remove that middle section and bring the two parts back together in proper timing. In order to edit this I double click the midi track and it opens it up in the key editor. I now have visual access to all of the keys played and typically at the bottom of the screen there is a lane showing the velocity of each key as well. The other controller lane that I use is the sustain pedals lane. Like mentioned above it gives a control on and control off signal. In SX3, at least with whatever my preferences are set at, that sustain control layer shows the starts and stops and makes it red where ever the pedal is left down so it looks lke a series of red rectangles. Now when I edit out the middle section with the mistake and drag the two files together so that they are sequenced properly, the sustain pedal control layer stays unaffected. Therefore all of my sustain pedal on/off commands are competely wrong for the music from the edit on.

What I would like to know is how to have it edit those along with the notes I edit, and move with them as well. I have figured out how to crudely edit the lengths with the draw tool, but it is kind of unpredictable in how it draws a start and stop. It seems like it should be easy to just place an event command like a start or stop command for the pedal and to change them, but this one thing seems to be very odd to acheive in Cubase. Everything else seems very easy so far, even for a midi retard like me.

Is there not a way to, in the controller lane for the sustain pedal, drag over the section of the track that was messed up and just delete it and somehow drag back the correct parts to line up with the rest of the MIDI notes that were moved? Hmmm... Honestly, this is about as boggling as my little problem... I'm a MIDI retard too, sorry... :o

Y9u would think you would be able to drag the pedal or something to adjust one pedal stroke, but it is not that easy. Also, I want to know how to have the pedal strokes drag with the key notes. I do not think I should have to treat them seperately. This way they also stay with the notes the way the performer performed them until I intend to make a change.

Have you tried the old shift key trick? Opening up the track(s) that you want to edit simultaneously, highlighting the region within one track and then holding the shift key while you click on the same region within the other track? I'm wondering if this would work within the controller lane too... Just a thought, not sure if it will work...

You would think that any controller info would stay in sync with the note(s) they were used with... MIDI has always confused me though... I was recording with a band I used to be in a few years ago and we did a song that, for some reason, required the use of something like Drumagog. It pretty much triggered a MIDI something-or-other for every drum hit, we were changing out the snare and bass drum sounds. When all was said and done, the snare hits had an "echo", and when viewed in the key editor, there was an exactly duplicated track right behind the one that was originally played, so the snare would hit twice for every one time it was actually hit. In the long run, the engineer had to manually remove every duplicate hit... Very time consuming PITA... MIDI sucks...lol :D

I see what the problem is, the key editor is not really made for what you are trying to do. Solution: Just don't edit the file in the key editor, do it in the inspector window and use the scissor too, it will cut the whole midi track including the CCs. The sustains will be shown as vertical lines. You can turn on the in place editor if you need to look at the notes better (ctrl-shift-I in win).

Back