Midi drums and sequencers

SilverbayJ

I am on a quest... being a guitarist, I have been slowly getting into the world of midi, and I am going to ask a newby question. I want to find a software program to sequence drums via midi, and be able to run them into pro tools on individual tracks. Currently I have the mbox for my demo work, so it would need to work with the LE 5.3.3 pro tools. I know I need a controller and the software, it's that I don't know what brand or what would work with the mbox.
I have been looking at BFD software, and understand that I need "rewire" to get it to work with pro tools, but will it work with the mbox?
I also have looked into Reason's Drum Kit as well. Yet I would like to find something cheaper. HEHE
Since I am writing heavy metal type music, I need great sounding acoustic drums, along with the ability to compose some serious drum fills, I NEED HELP!!
That's not much of an order is it?
Please give me your advise!!!!! And/or suggestions of software...
Thanks for taking the time to answer my query in advanced!

the mere fact that you have an M-box and know so little about it irks me. I know it shouldn't, but I can't help it.

Now on to your question. Reason 3.0 having been recently introduced there are VERY good deals around on Reason 2.5. Your MBox serves as an interface and therefore will work with Reason as a Rewire slave to (ick) protools. There have been no modifications or updates that I know of to the drums in Reason 3.0 so if that's your primary immediate use you'd be on solid ground to gobble a v.2.5 up at the low fire-sale price. The other stuff in Reason is very handy to have and you will probably grow into it. It's almost ridiculously flexible, and will accomodate metal/black metal/deaf metal/any metal just fine.

I'm almost sure you don't have the computing power to run Steinberg's lil' drummer boy, BFD, DKFH or any of the Drumagog software to the fullest, and none of them are worth a shit (IMHO) unless they can be run flat out.

Drumagog doesn't take that much computer power and the new version 4 is going to be midi capable. It will be available at the end of this month.

Try JAZZ++ from www.jazzware.com --- it's freeware

I'm a guitar player, and I program drums, and some bass in midi
In some cases, I will use the midi bass sounds for building the song in midi, but mute and play a real bass for recording.

SilverbayJ, as a guitar player, "I feel your pain". I don't use ProTools, I'm a Sonar guy, however I can tell you this, Fxpansions Dr-008 and Musiclab's Slicy Drummer are where to go. Endless drum samples can be imported into DR-008. Slicy Drummer gives great starting points for beats and you can edit them to suit your needs.

Just my humble opinion. :)

I think you'll need to upgrade to PT 6 in order to use Rewire. you'll want to anyway as the MIDI implementation is quite a bit better (since you'll be programming drums...). there's lot's of decent software that will work for you. I think sampletank comes with PT6. Spend your money on a really good drum sample library and be prepared to waste the rest of your life trying to nudge notes a little earlier and a little later so it doesn't sound like a machine.

Back