midi drum controller

americanruse

avante-gardian angel
i'm moving to california in september. i will be moving from a house into an apartment. that means that i can't make a lot of noise when recording. i'm looking to sell my drum set and buy some good midi drum libraries. what i really need is a midi drum controller. does anybody use them? has anybody heard of any really good ones out there? any help would be very much appreciated.

p.s. - if anyone is interested in a 5-piece pearl session series kit. i have one that i'm lookin' to sell.

I have an old model roland octa-pad that works great.
If you can find them for sale they can't be that expensive. 8 pads on it plus 6 more inputs on the back for other triggers such as a kick pedal.
There are other brands, such as the "Kat" brand. You might even be able to get by with a smallish yamaha controller like the home percussion things if they have a midi out.

I will be getting a Roland SPD-6 soon. I have used one many times and can say its realy nice for programing cause you can use sticks or you hands.
Internal sounds arent bad.
-Reco

tmix said:
I have an old model roland octa-pad that works great.
If you can find them for sale they can't be that expensive. 8 pads on it plus 6 more inputs on the back for other triggers such as a kick pedal.
There are other brands, such as the "Kat" brand. You might even be able to get by with a smallish yamaha controller like the home percussion things if they have a midi out.

that octapad looks pretty good. do you use pedals with it? if so, what kinds? i would want to get some.

thanks for helping me out, guys.

I've read online about people building trigger pads using piezo buzzers and practice pads. This seems like something I may try to do in the future. I've also seen mesh heads to replace the heads on regular kits to silence them for practice purposes. The whole set for a 5 piece shell pack costs like $40. So it looks as though you can do a whole midi conversion of acoustic drums for a couple hundred bucks.

I was thinking about combining them on my Pearl ELX kit. I live in an apartment too, and I don't like sitting around programming midi for drums when I record. This may be a way for me to actually be able to play my kit and still record drums.

Has anyone else tried such a thing in here? I'd be interested to know how it worked out for you.

Peace.

I use easy-to-use MIDI editor JAZZ++ ( Freeware ) from www.jazzware.com

I'm using a Soundblaster PCI-128 soundcard with the 8 meg Soundfonts option, that include 10 drum kits.

The SB Live, Audigy series also use Soundfounts, and some come with bigger libraries ( 16 meg )

MadMinute said:
I've also seen mesh heads to replace the heads on regular kits to silence them for practice purposes. The whole set for a 5 piece shell pack costs like $40. So it looks as though you can do a whole midi conversion of acoustic drums for a couple hundred bucks.

that does look like a good idea, but you would still have to record the cymbals. i'm afraid that might sound weird mixed with a drum library that uses room/overhead mics. but that sounds like a really cool idea.

could you give me the names of some of these mesh heads, or a website that has 'em? and could you give me some links to the sites that are talking about converting practice pads?

thanks very much for the reply.

Cybal triggers could be made the same way, so all these home made pads would be like the roland single zone triggers.

I saw that meash head deal at the Pearl Drummers Forum. I can go search for it.

If you google home made drum triggers, you should find several sites that talk about this.

Peace.

That thread about the mesh heads was in here.
Try Interstate Music for the heads.
They're pretty cheap so I may try this myself.
Good Luck!

Back