MIDI controls on DP4 effects

NationalSandwic

hi
i've got myself an Ensoniq DP 4 parallel effects processor. It's a great unit, and i want to use my midi controller with it. I am using a Behringer FCB1010 (midi foot control board), each pedal of which can simultaneously put out 5 program changes, 2 control changes, define expression pedals, and send out a MIDI note-on. I've been using the note-on to control Abelton Live (it works brilliantly) but I'm sure program changes and control changes and the expression pedals can control the DP4 (switch effects on/off, alter effects, etc.) I am also keen on using it as an effects loop out of Logic Audio 5.1.

My problems are that I wasn't given a manual with the DP4, I am not sure what the difference between program changes and control changes are, because I am not exactly clear what those changes are at all! I have a suspicion that the SysEx function (don't know how to use it) might help?

Then, I'm not sure how the midi thru function works....but does this setup make sense?

FCB1010 -MIDI out/in> DP4 -MIDI thru> Abelton.

I want Abelton to catch the note-on signals, and I want the DP4 to catch other relevant signals from the same controller.

So, any input/advice/feedback will be most welcome. Even if you can just point me to a good online MIDI help site where I can study it for myself.

Thanks so much! :)

thanks altitude. i've found that before, but it's for the dp4+. do you know if they're the same units? i know the dp4 i have doesn't have xlr in, so there's certainly some difference.

oh, as an aside, i have a Roland SH2000...what do you know about getting them repaired (the pad is worn).

Should be VERY similar, so you should be able to use that manual. Briefly looking at the midi implementation, it looks like you have Note, Velocity, after touch, pitch bend, and a number of CC's as modulation sources (page 179) so that would be a place to start and see what the foot controller can send

Are you talking about the 70's SH2000, if so what pads are you refering too?

yeah, the '73 unit i think. it's great, but the pad (ie the connectors which the keys press down on) is going. it has an after-touch effect of sorts, and i think the previous owner pummeled the keyboard so hard that it's messed with the connections. so keys in the central range of the manual trigger notes a semitone above or below the desired pitch. so that's the pad problem i mean. and then, theres a problem with the signal strength diminishing and all but disappearing at seemingly random points, and a 'restart' is what generally brings it back. the volume fader's a bit worn, but i don't think that's the cause.

yeah it'll take some time to go through the manual. my worry is that my MIDI knowledge is pretty fuzzy. know of an online Idiot's Guide to MIDI or some such thing?

...maybe something better than "Idiot" =)

Here are links to three good articles on midi basics - part one and part two and part three. They're 10 years old now but the basic midi spec hasn't changed since then so they're all perfectly current. There are two more articles in this same series when you've finished with these...

If the Behringer FC1010 allows multiple midi channels within the same patch you could set one channel to address Live and one to address the DP4 and then choose what parameters you were most interested in controlling on which device for that particular song. But that's just one suggestion - midi is flexible enough to permit all kinds of workarounds.

yeah, the '73 unit i think

Nice synth BTW :) I would hit up the Analog Heaven Mailing list and try there. There are plenty of very good synth shops that should be able to take care of it and I'm sure someone on there can recommend someone in your area. Have you tried cleaning the contacts? or is it a bushing issue?

yeah it is! i found it neat & cheap, in the original case, tho someone nicked the Roland tag. at the mo i'm using a mini Korg-700. lot's of fun =) can't find that mailing list BTW, lots of pages that talk about it. not that i'm very familiar with using mailing lists...

ssscientist, good articles, thanks...very much revision for me. just trying to sit with the concepts til they all are solid. can you point me to the next ones you mentioned? thanks.

Back