Midi controller box for a dumb keyboard?

Cazzbar

Throbbing Member
I have a Roland A90 keyboard which weighs about 65 pounds and I'm tired of carrying it around!

So I've been looking at compact light-weight soundless 88 key Midi keyboards (e.g. Fatar TMK88) to hook up to my sound module (XV2020)

Only problem is I've been used to 64 user programmable performance settings on my Roland, with each performance corresponding to a song. Also with the added luxury of being able to chain performances together when you decide upon a set-list.

Could anyone recommend a solution here? A soundless keyboard with this functionally built in? or simple standalone Midi controller box? I'm not interested in lots of knobs and levers, want things nice and compact... I don't mind how long it would take to program... just need a couple of buttons to flick through my performances and be able to chain them together.

Thanks.

So u just need something to go through your XV presets? Any midi controller keyboard will allow you to change banks

when you say Performance, are you talking about the Performance mode of the XV2020 (I have the XV3080 and it has performance, patch, and gm).

or does the A90 contain a sequencer that allows you to play back and chain songs together?

My trusty old Peavey PC1600x has 100 scenes and 50 16-fader, 16 button, one wheel and two CV pedals setups into which I programmed a program change for every module in a nice big rack of midi synths and then, if I was using a setup instead of a scene, I could select parameters to have CC control over one song at a time. You can set up names for scenes and setups that correspond to your song titles and set them up to step thru with a footswitch.

I recommend you look into that --- even if you can't find one they DO still make them so your local Peavey dealer could order one for you to audition. I've had mine for 10 or so years and as a testimony to their durability only one button is sticky.

I know a LOT about midi, but you can program stuff on this clever machine that goes beyond my knowledge. Sysex and NRPN's are a snap on this box - what I'm talking about is stuff like 'Param format 2Byte,7Bits,hi->lo' in the fader value field...

crosstudio said:
... or does the A90 contain a sequencer that allows you to play back and chain songs together?

Yep, that's it. There's 64 performance slots on the A90, and you can program each slot for a particular song, e.g.

Slot20-"Doors tribute"-60s Organ, lots of verb

Slot45-"My Blues Jam"-Keyboard split, left hand plays bass guitar, right hand plays GrandPiano2 etc...

Then you can create a chain when you have a set-list, e.g

1st song = Slot45
2nd song = Slot20

Chaining is a god send when playing live, desperately flicking through all the user slots to try and find the next song isn't the stress you need!

I realised after my original post the my XV2020 also has 64 performance slots as well *insert embarrassed face here* so I would use that to create the songs instead of using a separate controller unit, but I still don't think I will be able to chain up these songs

Thanks ssscientist the suggestion of the PC1600x, it looks like any editing of the XV2020 was intended via a computer/editing software and a USB lead, maybe that unit would 'open up' my sound module for editing using my paws.

Although it appears I only really need a chaining function now... is there a more basic unit for my modest needs? If not I'm sure I'll find more uses for the PC1600x :cool:

Thanks again

it looks like any editing of the XV2020 was intended via a computer/editing software and a USB lead

The trick for dealing with that and quickly mapping to a controller is to just sniff the midi out port as you are using the software and just copy that string at its min value to the controller, then do the same for the max value as the max value on the controller. Works very well when dealing with sysex controls also

Cazzbar said:
maybe that unit would 'open up' my sound module for editing using my paws.
Indeed it would. And many more units besides that one.

I've programmed full editors with 16 selected parameters --- the ones I use most --- in about an hour and had fun with them for years.

Before you jump into a less capable controller you owe it to yourself to at least check out the PC1600x...

owe it to yourself to at least check out the PC1600x

Indeed, brilliant device. Make sure you get the updated one (1600x, not 1600)

It will also output CV so u can go as far as making an analog sequencer from it

Actually, that looks alot like the peavey both apearance and function wise. Kenton makes very good products so thats a safe buy

cool...

the full sized lightweight keyboard (12 lbs) / sound module idea is mainly to take the stress out of transporting my heavyweight A90 to and from practises...

i will see how it goes before i add a dedicated controller as i'm still planning on taking my A90 to live gigs, because currently the thought of using a dumb keyboard connected to a midi controller connected to a midi sound module for live work scares the **** out of me :)

but if the practises go well (and the new srx-11 piano expansion card is as good as people say) i may say goodbye to gigging with 65 lbs worth of piano!

Cazzbar said:
the thought of using a dumb keyboard connected to a midi controller connected to a midi sound module for live work scares the **** out of me :)
LOL! :D :D :D

I know EXACTLY what you mean --- taking it on faith that you can toss away an old favorite and replace it with something that you're not quite sure about yet and still be able to give a reasonable semblance of a good performance scares me every time I have to do it.

Fortunately this is not for anyone but you and your aching back --- you're not changing the sounds that come out of your rig, just how you control them --- so you can take your time and work out what you want to do in private, either at home or in rehearsal.

If you're going to go with the Kenton, be sure it can do things like step thru program changes with a footswitch --- otherwise see if you can find a PC1600x because it can do that (seemingly simple) trick and much more...

Cheers, good advice :)

(i was just doing a little search on midi pedals and found a Lake Butler Midi Mitigator here ) further investigation looks like the thing is almost 20 years old and the company has gone bust, but it's basically what i'm after! being able to program in set lists, a nice display and large "Inc" and "Dec" pedals! although I wouldn't pay 400 dollars for it though lol)

Back