MIDI controller - assigning different MIDI channel for each note

The instrument would be attached to the key range, but not pitch. They could be though. You could play the bass notes at the top.

The instrument would be attached to the key range, but not pitch. They could be though. You could play the bass notes at the top.
Sorry .... what exactly do you mean by "key range, but not pitch"?

As I mentioned, I'm by no means a MIDI expert. I can get around with it and do simple things, but I'm not advanced by any means.

I cant think....It will play the notes a G is G a C is a C.

You choose the range the instrument is triggered in and also the pitch range it plays.

If you flow chart the rig, I'm pretty sure you could come up with something similar to what you want.

Last edited:
Zones isn't going to cut it. That's just splitting a keyboard.
I can see what you need. A device to take in a midi channel, containing chords, and then orchestrates those chords over 16 monophonic midi output channels.
If your destination hardware synths don't have midi thru, you'l need 16 separate midi out cables.
This is entirely possible, although I don't know anyone that makes it.
There are plenty of midi translation functions I would like to see, like splitting a non-splitting keyboard, transposing midi notes, etc...
I can visualize a box with 16 physical midi in connectors, and 16 physical midi out connectors, with some clever software inbetween to do all manner
of midi gymnastics.

Zones isn't going to cut it. That's just splitting a keyboard.
I can see what you need. A device to take in a midi channel, containing chords, and then orchestrates those chords over 16 monophonic midi output channels.
If your destination hardware synths don't have midi thru, you'l need 16 separate midi out cables.
This is entirely possible, although I don't know anyone that makes it.
There are plenty of midi translation functions I would like to see, like splitting a non-splitting keyboard, transposing midi notes, etc...
I can visualize a box with 16 physical midi in connectors, and 16 physical midi out connectors, with some clever software inbetween to do all manner
of midi gymnastics.
Thanks for the information. Yeah I was pretty sure zones weren't what I was looking for. But I don't use them at all, so I wasn't entirely sure.

I actually found something that makes this possible. Apparently, there are a couple of different ways:
From the forum post (about the script):
What it does: Every note that is coming in (on channel 1) will be sent out on a rotating channel. So the first Note On is passed on to Channel 1, the second Note On is sent on Channel 2, and so on.

Note Off messages are matched to the respective channel. For that, each playing note is remembered on which channel it is playing.

It works for up to 16 channels. You can set the maximum channels/polyphony in the variable gp (for global polyphony) in the Init translator in the Init preset. The default here is 8 channels.

If you exceed the given polyphony, note stealing is implemented by sending Note Off to the oldest note still playing.

I've seen videos of both methods, and they both indeed do exactly what I'm looking for (and they both allow for the use of an external MIDI keyboard as well). I'll probably go with the Smart MIDI cable option, assuming it's back in stock soon (it's out of stock at the moment), because it's cheaper and seems easier. The only downside is that it ties up both your MIDI in and out jacks on the Digitakt (the software method uses the USB jack only), but I don't mind that at all because I likely wouldn't use them for anything else anyway.

Yeah. Well using multiple midi channels to singularly make chords is dumb.
Ok, thanks for the opinion.

Some people might say that editing your playing to improve the timing - instead of practicing more or recording it again to improve as a musician - is dumb, too. But lots of people choose to work that way.

I really love working with the Digitakt; it's an inspiring piece of gear. If I have to buy one more specific MIDI cable for $50 in order to obtain polyphony with the samples, it's more than worth it to me.

I re-read this topic and now I totally understand what you want and why - and that's actually a great idea - I spend loads of time splitting chords into voices and I've been doing it in the DAW manually, often a bar or two at a time and it takes forever. A feature in cubase that would do this automatically would really be useful to me, but I've never found it. Live even more useful.You can, to be fair, select the MIDI data and highlight the top line to one channel and then the same with the others, but that's a real faff.

no midi channel for chords is a bad idea. you make chords with the chord memory feature of the sampler.
Again .... This is not a feature on the Digitakt ... hence, the looking for an alternate solution.

I'm not convinced that you understand exactly what I'm wanting and why.

On the no spare midi connectors point, there's no reason why a midi out connector couldn't be fed to 2 destinations at once. It is only an open collector output signal.

Back