midi,computer,sound

ALLY

i'm recording from a digital mixer to a 8 track digital fostex unit. And am wondering if using a pc and midi will make editing easier. and what programs are the easiest to use. how would the sound get from my mixer to the computers hard drive? do I just run the midi cables to the interface and it travels that way or does there need to be another cable for sound. I have a very cheap program by voyetra that has midi cables that enter through the joystick port. I can get sound in through the mic line but not through midi. thanks

Editing will be much easier. You need a different cable for sound. There are a number of editing programs including most of the major "all in one" studios Cakewalk and Cubase, plus stand along editors like Cool Edit, Sound Forge, Wave Lab and others. You can download demos of most of these to see if you like them. You can also check out some free or shareware programs on some of the shareware sites... have fun!

Thanks I downloaded cool edit and also I have a copy of cubasis a/v I think. they both are fine for me. But I'm starting to learn the difference between half duplex and duplex or whatever soundcards, so I'm wondering is it better to look at a package of a soundcard and program together to assure compatability, or does it matter?

Back