Midi Channels

Bighauler

Please help, I'm Trying to use Cakewalk Home
Studio XL with a Alesis HR-16 Drum machine and a Yamaha DGX202
I can't get the Alesis to play back, the drums play thru the DGX. I guess to sum it up,How do you select midi channels on the DGX. Thank's Ed

Sorry, but I'm not really familiar with your gears. What is Yamaha DGX202 ? Is this your soundcard/MIDI port ?
Usualy, you need to set your gear to recieve any incoming MIDI signal. Check your synth (Alessis HR 16) manual for detail on how to enable MIDI filter for such certain control. Generally, you can select MIDI channel for certain track in Cakewalk.

;)
Jaymz

Sorry for the confusion,The Yamaha DGX 202 is a portable keyboard with no way of selecting midi channels, The Alesis HR 16
is a Drum machine. I'm using a Creative128 sound card with a
midi connector. I was told a Midisport 4x4 would allow me to
prevent the DGX from seeing Chanel 10 and let the HR 16
be the drummer. I'm using the Alesis and Yamaha Instrument
Definition files, and I tried all sorts of options in Home Studio
with no luck. The problem seems to be with the DGX and it's
poor midi settings, Thank's Ed

I believe if you're going to use 'em both, you're gonna need at least 2 MIDI out port from your PC. I dunno much about Yamaha DGX 202, I went Google, and seems like it doesn't have MIDI filtering control that much. What if you reverse the order (PC --> Alessis --> Yamaha ) ? I'm sorry, but I can't tell you much...

;)
Jaymz

DGX202

Bighauler,

Were you able to get any more clarification on the issue above? I just got a DGX202 in December.

FYI, I asked Yamaha tech support about controlling Reason software, and got the response below:

Question: "Will I be able to control the software application Reason 2.5 with the Yamaha DGX202?"

Response: "As long as Reason can be triggered by only receiving midi Chanel 1. The DGX can only transmit on channel 1. You cannot change this."

Not sure if this clarifies anything...

-M

Back