MIDI and Recording

TeenChristian

Hey there! Overall I'm new to MIDI and recording in general. lately I've been recording a keyboard with an SM57 mic and I'm thinking of just purchasing a MIDI cable to go from they keyboard to the Audio Interface, but I have a couple questions. The keyboard I'm using has MIDI in and out inputs and my interface has two inputs. If I want the sound from the keyboard going to the interface will I need to use two cables, one for the in and one for the out inputs on the keyboard, or could I get one cable that does both?

That's my main question but I was also wondering how the quality on the audio was when using MIDI cables etc.

"MIDI out" is an output, not an input. You would connect the MIDI out on your keyboard to the MIDI in on your interface. Does your interface have MIDI input?

that would depend on your VSTi's or the synth you control with the keyboard if im not mistaken

I'm pretty sure you're not understanding what MIDI is. Forgive and correct me if I'm wrong.

MIDI isn't audio. A MIDI signal has no "sound". It's simply sending information to trigger another device that does produce sound.

So, like kp4 said, the quality of your sound using a MIDI cable has nothing to do with the cable, input or even the keyboard you're using as a MIDI comtroller. The quality of sound depends on what you happen to be triggering from your keyboard, wheter it be a VST or soft synth. etc....

How good would the quality of the audio be when using a MIDI cord?

[EDIT: Beaten to the post by Rami! So this is more or less a repeat...]

I may be misunderstanding your question, but there's no audio at all in a midi cable. Midi just transfers instructions about which note to play, velocity, length etc. You control a virtual instrument that lives on your computer. It might be a drum kit, piano, bass, banjo, unusual synth sounds, or whatever you like. Depending on how good you are at operating the keyboard, and how good the software on the computer is, the result can be anything from cheesy to superb. It's a whole different avenue to explore but editing is very simple and you can do some great things with it, all the way up to writing the whole song with midi driven instruments and just adding a vocal.

I see, I was definitely misunderstanding MIDI entirely. I think I get it now after your explanations :) I'll still look into MIDI, but as far as actually recording the keyboard goes, would using a mic be my only option? Could I run a cord from the Keyboard's headphones jack right to the interface?

I would have to check... In the meantime, would there be any MIDI software anyone could suggest? Does Cubase LE 5 handle something like MIDI?

Most DAWs have a MIDI editor. Can't speak for Cubase but I'm sure it would.

MIDI is the spawn of Satan and you should put it behind thee....:D

Could I run a cord from the Keyboard's headphones jack right to the interface?

Yes. With many keyboards (including my Yamaha) there's only one outlet and it may be marked something like Phones/Output which means that it doubles as both. It should be a stereo output so you may need to take that into consideration too. With mine I use a cable that has a stereo jack at the keyboard end and two mono jacks that go into my interface, or whatever. However, if you use a mono cable that may work too. For instance I can run mine into an amp, using a mono cable, instead of using the built in speakers, and that works fine too.

To get the actual sound of your keyboard you need to use audio, not midi. If there is no audio out, the headphone jack will work, just watch the level into your interface because this signal is stronger than most line signals. Start with your headphone volume all the way down and slowly increase to taste.

As others have said, midi is just information, but would open up a whole world of possibilities for you. In Cubase you load a VSTi (Virtual Steinberg Technology instrument) Fancy name, but these are software instruments like pianos, strings, synths etc. There are thousands of them out there free to $1000 of dollars. Once loaded, your keyboard triggers the sound. So for example if you load a piano, when you play your keyboard, you will hear piano. Do some research on VSTi's and you will be amazed. Don't get these confused with VST's which are similar, but not instruments, just effects like reverb, chorus etc. I 'm pretty sure Cubase will already have some VSTi's already built in.

Your interface doesn't have an audio input? Interfaces that only have MIDI in/out and no audio are pretty much a thing of the past. Most newer interfaces handle both MIDI and audio.

MIDI allows a computer to record what your fingers do on the keys, even if there is no sound. If you record MIDI, then your computer can play back what you did exactly as you did it, every time, without any variance. This would include recording when the sustain pedal is pushed, when the volume is turned up and down, when the pitch bender is moved, etc.

If you also connect your keyboard's audio output to your interface's audio input, then you can record the MIDI and the audio at the same time. Then you can play back the MIDI and it will play the audio from your keyboard exactly the same way every time.

Or you can connect the MIDI output from the interface to a different keyboard and - if everything is set up correctly - the MIDI you recorded the first time will play that other keyboard's piano sound instead. Or you can route it to another synth and let that recorded MIDI play a string patch......or a vibraphone patch....or an organ patch.....etc....etc..... MIDI only tells the instrument on the other end HOW to play the sound, how to play it exactly the way you played it, but MIDI doesn't care what synth or what instrument or what sound is on the other end.

Another good concept with MIDI........ think of a TV. A tv has several channels, with a different program on each channel. MIDI is similar. With MIDI and synths, you can have 16 channels, and there is a different sound or different instrument on each channel. The big difference between MIDI and a tv is the tv can only play one channel at a time. MIDI can play all 16 channels at once. You might have piano on channel 1, synth bass on channel 2, synth horn on channel 3, synth strings on channel 4, a drum machine listening on channel 5, and a rack mount fx box listening on channel 6. If you want to play and record the piano, you set your keyboard to talk on MIDI channel 1. Then when you're ready to record a bass line you set your keyboard to talk on MIDI channel 2. Each MIDI channel has its own instrument (aka "patch"), its own volume controller, etc. You can even use MIDI controllers to control the rack mount fx like changing the delay echos in real time, or changing the reverb in real time, or turning the flanger on and off for the guitar solo, etc.

Just before I switched to computer I was using a Tascam 2488. I had my sequencer set up to use MIDI to control the 2488. MIDI was controlling the track volumes, track pans, EQ, fx, and even controlling the start and stop synchronization of the 2488. With that set up, the 2488 was basically acting as a MIDI controlled 16 track tape recorder (except there was no tape). So I recorded the analog sources (guitar, bass, voices) on the 2488 and then MIDI synched it to the sequencer that was playing back all the midi sources (keys, horns, strings, drums, etc). The sequencer was controlling the 2488, the midi synths, and all the black boxes in a 7 foot rack. I had a special box that could create 4 banks of midi, each bank with 16 channels. So I had 64 MIDI channels available at all times.

MIDI is worth learning.

Last edited:
In the future I'll probably look to learning MIDI because it sounds like it has alot of advantages and it just sounds exiting to learn. I just ran a cord from a keyboards audio-out to an input on my interface and it works fine, but there seems to be one problem. It may just be cubase, or it may be the tascam. When I play the keyboard the audio goes into the tascam. When I listen to the audio through my headphones it only is being played on the right side. When I use cubase, the audio only records when I use a stereo channel and even then it only records to the right side... what could I be doing wrong?

Cubase has always done midi, you really need to study a little bit about midi, what it is is basically an electronic score you tell your instruments, hardware or software what to play with a midi file. Check out some sound modules and software synths like the kurzweil micro ensemble or reason / kontact for starting points

Overall I'm new to MIDI and recording in general. lately I've been recording a keyboard with an SM57 mic and I'm thinking of just purchasing a MIDI cable to go from they keyboard to the Audio Interface
MIDI is definitely worth learning. It has many uses in recording and like Washburn said, once you get to use even half decent VSTis, well, it's another world altogether.
By the same token, don't altogether abandon recording from your keyboard with a mic. A guy that was around a while ago called Mike Freze asked if it was worth recording virtual instruments through an amp, to give them a bit more realistic of a sound. He got a hard time with the questions he used to ask, but that was a good one. I find that recording the VSTi thru an amp gives you the sort of sound that you don't get direct {coloured by the room, mic and the amp of course}. I connect it via the out/headphone socket of the Echo Indigo soundcard that I installed in my computer. It is probably a very basic way of doing it but I'm more than happy with the sounds.
Just thought I'd throw that in.

In the future I'll probably look to learning MIDI because it sounds like it has alot of advantages and it just sounds exiting to learn. I just ran a cord from a keyboards audio-out to an input on my interface and it works fine, but there seems to be one problem. It may just be cubase, or it may be the tascam. When I play the keyboard the audio goes into the tascam. When I listen to the audio through my headphones it only is being played on the right side. When I use cubase, the audio only records when I use a stereo channel and even then it only records to the right side... what could I be doing wrong?

Maybe your just using a mono cable or input and recording a that one track to a stereo chanel try recording it again as a mono track

Back