mics vs. pick-up vs. feedback

NationalSandwic

hello
hope i can get advice here.
i've a very nice classical guitar that cost me a fortune and that i love dearly. i want to use it for live performances, and am not sure how to do this best. if i put a pick-up in, i am firstly worried about having to cut or drill or in anyway damage the guitar itself. i am then worried about feedback. i sometimes play very softly and sparsely, sometimes i play very loud and allow long pauses to listen to the resonance & harmonics.
i'm not sure what non-invasive pickup options there are that will give me the richness and clarity i want.
i'm then not sure if/how/which microphone might work at a live performance, also giving me richness & clarity. someone suggested just performing with a sm57.
i have been using a transducer pickup (for recording purposes and for one performance) but it's EXTREMELY strong in the high ends, so fret & nail sounds are aggressive. for recording i generally have to exaggerate my playing to emphasise the bass and/or eq the hell out of it. in the one performance, i didn't have feedback, but i kept the system really low. plus it was a specific occasion, outdoors, tiny group, so can't equate it to playing in a club.
advice please? :confused:
thanks,
anthony

Back