Mics Used in Radio Broadcasting

Mark H.

To determine what microphones radio broadcasters actually use, I selected a market at random in the middle of the United States (St. Louis, Missouri) and wrote to those stations that listed an email address on-line, asking “What mics do you use/prefer for production and on-air?”

Of those that responded, three use Shure SM-7 dynamic microphones and seven use Electro-Voice RE 20 and RE 27 dynamic microphones.

The most telling response was from the Chief Engineer for six St. Louis area radio stations (KSD-FM, KATZ-FM, KLOU-FM, KMJM-FM, KSLZ-FM, KATZ-AM) who wrote, “We use Electro-Voice RE-20 and RE-27 microphones almost exclusively. I have been using them in the radio stations I take care of for 15 years. Durable with good sound... we have over 50 of them.”

One station (that uses the SM-7 in the booth) indicated that it uses a condenser for production in its news room.

Mark H.

Integrity of Information in Database

Anyone can make a mistake, and differences of opinion are welcome, but one of the reasons for the existence of a forum such as this is to build a database of factual information to be shared among people with a common interest.

Except for joke threads (as long as they are obviously intended as spoofs), I would prefer that blatantly erroneous comments and/or entire threads with bad information be deleted.

I was actually going to call BSW before posting yesterday, but I ran out of time and felt it was more important to put up the information I had received rather than wait.

I think we need to be kind and to focus on mics and music, but I also think that if a participant continues to provide and heatedly defend false information, he should be blocked from participation.

I make as many mistakes as anyone, and I'm here to learn from my betters. If I ever forget to apologize or withdraw information that proves to be erroneous, please remind me and I'll rectify it at once.

Sincerely,

Mark H.

Back