Mics, preamps, and mixers

okayusa

Does a dynamic mic, say an SM58, have to be preamped?

I don't have enough to buy a digital interface, so my recording will be going into my "line-in" on the soundcard...

if it does have to be preamped, should i just buy a $100 art preamp or spend the extra money on a mackie 1202 vlz (because I don't have a mixer)?

if it doesn't have to be preamped, can i use that radio shack impedance matching transformer and take the mic directly into the "line-in" (stereo miniplug)?

thanks

yes, you will need a preamp. i recommend buying the mackie, because it will serve many purposes while the art will only do one thing. you can always get your money back out of a mackie... some of the little sampson mixers are quite inexpensive, and will also do an adequate job of what you need, though they are not in the same league as the mackie.

Dynamic mics need amplification even more than condensers because they're generating all their own elecricity from the sound wave alone! Jnorman's advice was right on, BTW...thanks!

Ok so if i buy the mackie, would it be a wasted investment if i ran the line-out from the mackie to my computer sound card line-in? I don't have enough money to buy both a mixer and a digital interface...

I don't understand your question...that's what you have to do in order to get your mic signal up to line level. Did you read the basic pages listed in the announcement on the main page of this forum? That might help...

And remember that a digital interface won't do you any good unless you have both a sender and a receiver. Example being a Gina for a soundcard and another device (CD or MD deck)
with coaxial S/PDIF. But don't be alarmed about the <first> conversion to digital. This must occur and there's no way around it! A direct to digital recording represents just such a conversion.

Back