Mics for video interview

complexprocess

I'm working with an organization that would like to start producing video interviews with local musicians. I'm wondering what types of microphones would be best to use. Here's the proposed situation:

Interviewing will take place in a relaxed environment with easy chairs and the like. Echo won't be a problem but ambient sound may due to passing traffic.

The interviews will be videotaped for use on the web and possibly a future DVD. We'd rather not have everyone wearing headsets and we'd like to avoid piles of gear in front of the camera (a small pile behind is acceptable:)).

There will be one interviewer and between 1 and 3 interviewees. The organization is non-profit and working on a (extremely) tight budget. Lapel mics for everyone is really out of the question.
Sound quality is not the first priority, but not sounding like TOTAL garbage would be nice.

Would it be worth it to get a lower-end condenser for the group of people being interviewed, so they can sit in an 'arc' around it? Would a couple of cheapish dynamics be a better solution? Audio will be going into a small mixer (also to be purchased) and from there a rather nice digital video editing system that was donated last year.

What would people suggest that I suggest? :)
Specific models aren't necessary but recommendations in that area are welcome.

One of two things is used for on-camera interview.

1. Clip-on lavalier microphones of one form or other, one per person.

2. Two or more overhead shotgun mics out of view of the camera. A shotgun microphone is very very narrowly directional, so it can be far away and still pick up just what it is pointing at, but it must be pointed accurately. You see pictures of the sound guy with a microphone on a long pole? That is a shotgun mic and his job is to keep it pointed at his target yet out of sight.

BTW any time on television you see an on-the-desk microphone you can be almost completely certain that it is a prop only.

Innovations said:
One of two things is used for on-camera interview.

1. Clip-on lavalier microphones of one form or other, one per person.

2. Two or more overhead shotgun mics out of view of the camera. A shotgun microphone is very very narrowly directional, so it can be far away and still pick up just what it is pointing at, but it must be pointed accurately. You see pictures of the sound guy with a microphone on a long pole? That is a shotgun mic and his job is to keep it pointed at his target yet out of sight.

BTW any time on television you see an on-the-desk microphone you can be almost completely certain that it is a prop only.

Good advice. Usually they do both. A good compromise might be a lapel mic for the host and a shotgun for the guests.

I think he just said "lapel mics are out of the question." :D

I'd say just get an omni-directional mic and stick it somewhere's in the center of everyone.

chessrock said:
I think he just said "lapel mics are out of the question." :D

I guess some clarification is in order. I meant good lapel mics are out of the question. :)

If I could find some for extremely cheap that sounded ok I'd be a happy guy, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

[edit]
thanks for the responses by the way. I'll mull them over with the other people involved. Maybe we can get some loaners to test out a few setups.

Most shotgun mics will set you back in the neighborhood of $250 so the $30 lavalier may be pretty darn good deal.

And the omni will pick up everything, including any noises from the production crew, room echoes, etc.

Back