Mics for under $100 - that just may work for you.

12 Gauge Microphones

Hey Folks!

If you're interested in a pair of SDC mics that are both sub $100 and look & sound bad ass, check out 12 Gauge Microphones! Theres a dot com and a facebook page!

No Sm-58?! Beta-58 is a little more expensive, but with a good pre on the right source sounds amazing!
As I said in Post #14 of this thread:

"This was really more of an exercise in just grabbing four very low cost mics and trying them for both guitar and vocals. I was pleasantly surprised as to how well all the mics did on voice AND guitar. With a little attention to placement and some eq, I think any of them would be very useful for either purpose."

Is the file gone for anyone else? I tried to download it as I'm really interested in learning about price vs. quality in mics, but the link 404s. :-(

HI,

Some great mic's there in this list!
I guess it is one thing to use a preamp on a cheaper microphone but it is another to capture a quality signal/recording with that preamp.
I have heard the Neumann TLM103 Sound rubbish when the person recording it used terrible 'technique' in both the recording 'zone' and signal path.
Pre's are good but a wiser beginning would be to use correct and appropriate technique in the placing of mics on the sound source.
I LOVE the Sm57 and i believe it to be an awesome mic that can capture some great sound.
Samson, t.bone, Behringer and MXL do produce reasonable quality for a cheap price with obviously some sounding better than others.
All the best :)

If i missed it somewhere in here, the Audix I5 is a fantastic mic as well. I'd be happy with that mic over an SM57 any day.

Hey folks, I'm looking at purchasing a new mic, but I'm truly on a budget here so I'm looking at two mics both pricing at $100: the MXL V67G and the Sterling ST51. Which do you think would be better for indie folk music? (acoustic guitar, male/female vocals, cello) I need your suggestions! Thanks!

Hey folks, I'm looking at purchasing a new mic, but I'm truly on a budget here so I'm looking at two mics both pricing at $100: the MXL V67G and the Sterling ST51. Which do you think would be better for indie folk music? (acoustic guitar, male/female vocals, cello) I need your suggestions! Thanks!

I don't have the Sterling, but I have never heard anything great about them, I do have a MXL V67G, and while it's not the most expensive mic in my locker it does sound very good for the price and will get a reasonable / usable result.

Alan.

Back