Mics for acoustic guitar

metalupurass45

What are some good mics for acoustic guitar. I would like to purchase 2 of them. Also, I have 2 MXL 993's right now. Do you think i should uprade? if so what to?

thanks guys

I like a pair of sm81's. Should you upgrade? Depends on what the rest of your chain is like. Some room treatment might help more, depending.

+1 on the Naiants. I'm saving for an SM81. But both the Naiant and Behringer ECM8000 mics work really well for me.

I've posted clips of both a lot on this forum, and there are a lot of other people who posted clips of the Naiants.

I like a pair of sm81's. Should you upgrade? Depends on what the rest of your chain is like. Some room treatment might help more, depending.

Agreed. You should be able to make very good recordings with these mics. If you can't, it is the guitar, the player, the room, mic placement, or something else in your signal chain that is holding you back.

nah im not really being held back, just trying to get the best sound i can. thanks for the advice everyone i appreciate it.

Merry Christmas!

I've had luck with the following

single sm81 or pair of sm81s in xy
naiants in various combinations
pair of AT4033 in xy

I also try to put some sort of omni a few feet away and combine that track with the close up mic track -- usually another naiant.

Back