Mic's and set up.

I recently got me a 6 piece Pearl Export Series Select drum kit, I been planning on mic'ing them up and wasnt sure what the best mic's would be to use. I was checking on package deals but wasnt sure if thats a good way to go or not?

The kit has 2 floor toms so I also was wondering if one mic could be used to pick up on those? And maybe one mic for the 2 riding toms? Then one for the kick and one for the snare and 2 overheads for the cymbols.

I planned on running all the mics into a smaller mixer, like a behringer mixer or something thats affordable. Then later on I want to get a good power mixer and live sound set up, and if it has enough outputs I want to run 1 or more into a small sound room where I can record live sessions onto "something" that records for hours. So we will still have the loud live sound and also recording into the sound room at the same time. Is there anything out there that can fit my needs? And if it's possible to multi track like that would be SWEET!! (Sorry to make this so long) But as far as the multi tracking, I would have the drums mixed through thier own passive mixer into a power mixer. All this is so confusing and any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated, my goal is to capture the magical live moments and still be able to eddit the sound levels if needed, so would this be a good way to do this?

First of all, congratulations. You're about to become the most popular person in your neighbourhood :D

Secondly. I'd like to be the first to jump in and recommend that whatever money you've put aside for mics would be best spent on 4 really good ones (a pair of overheads, a snare mic and a kick mic), rather than a collection of so-so ones.

For the overheads a pair of Studio Projects B1s or Oktava MK012s seem to be the leading choices at the budget end of the scale; closely followed by the Marshall Electronics MXL603S and the ADK SC-1.

For the snare most people use the Shure SM57. Then they complain that they're getting too much Hi-Hat in the Snare mic. This is because of the Cardioid pick-up pattern of the SM57. So, I'm going to go against the grain and recommend looking for a Beyerdynamic M201, which has a Hypercardioid pick-up pattern and which you can find fairly cheap on ebay (not so cheap new, unless you buy them direct from Europe (Thomann's and Musicians Gear both have them in stock)).

Finally the mic for the Kick Drum depends on the sound you want from it. For Metal try the AKG D112 or Sennheiser E602. For everything else either the Audio-Technica ATM25, Sennheiser MD421, Electro-Voice Re/PL-20 or Audix D6.

Of course these are not the only choices and I'm sure plenty of other people will have their opinions to share with you. But once you have a decent basic collection you can add the rest (i.e Tom mics) as and when you can afford to.

Hey man cool! Yea the jam room is already pretty popular lol. We been jammin out down there for the past few years and we get people just droppin by all the time, got a bar down there! Crazy lights and all kinds of goodies for the eyes, the jam sessions usually turn into a party every time. Get to jam with so many different people, it's my most favorite place to be! We are just wanting to capture everything that happens down there, we never do any cover tunes and sometimes we just click with something thats like DAMN WHY DONT WE HAVE A RECORDER? As we say, there goes another one to the god's! Hope I get to hear it when I'm dead lol.. It's all caught on that giant recorder in the sky right? LOL yea that would be sweet..

Anyways thanks for the reply, that does help. I wasnt sure if the package deals were any good or not, I am pretty sceptical about package deals anyway.

Got allot to build up for the picture I got in my head but I figure the drums are a good place to start maybe. Hopfully in a year or so it will become the studio jammin party place I see in my head. And everything ever played will be captured!

This forum has been like a bible with all the studio acoustical design and tips, lotta great info here I love it.

Back