Microphone --> Preamp --> Guitar Amp?

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
Just wondering, are there any dangers in connecting the Line Out of a preamp (VTB-1 in this case) into the input of a standard guitar amp? I don't want to wreck the equipment :D

Sorry if it's a stupid question... Apologies, and thanks for your time

Well, I'm just the piano player, so dont shootme....but......

You wouldn't want to run it into the regular guitar in jack, then you would be running your preamp into another preamp. Dont want to preamp it twice.

Does your amp have a "power amp in" jack on the rear or something? You need to bypass the guitar amp pre and go directly to the power amp.

No unfortunately two regular jack inputs on the amp. I suppose the fact of the matter is that I don't have an XLR to jack cable. I'd be using a dynamic mic, so no need for the phantom power... if all the settings were down on the external mic preamp (so really all it's being used for is to convert from an XLR input to a jack output!) would that work?

I wish I was more knowledgeable :D

Thanks for your help :)

They're still different impedances. Will it work? Yes. Will it work well? Not really.

What are you trying to accomplish?

OK Cool - I'll give it a miss then :D

I'll try and explain what I'm trying to accomplish... I have a lovely new jazz guitar (well, in my opinion)... a real hollowbody. When I'm sat playing it the tone is beautiful, because I get a nice mix of the acoustic sound and the warmth of the electrics from the amp. Unfortunately, I'm the one getting the best sound! And if I want to play louder (which I will invariably at a concert) the electrics of the amp are going to have to go up and the acoustic tone will be lost. So I figured I'd have a go at micing up the acoustic tone and feeding it in with the amp... so when I turn it up I turn them both up and catch the right blend... perhaps it's wishful thinking :)

Thanks

Back