Microphone position question

cordura21

Hey guys. When I mic myself in one of the regular positions, I get a pretty loud "fssss" sound from my voice, like a gas escape you know.

So I tried different things and I came with a position that really takes care of it, but I find it pretty odd. It's way above my head and pointing downwards. Check the attachement to see it.

Anyways, is this a common technique, and why does it change the sound so much? And does it have any bad effect (like permanent lack of highs, etc)?

Cheers, Andrés

Attachments

• mic.gif
    mic.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 72
My stock answer for questions like this is: If it sounds good, it is good. The only problem I can imagine is possible phase shifting if you move your head too much. But if it's the sound you're after, then go for it.

yeah, I thought of that. But this is way over the head, like the diaphragm pointing to the forehead.
I make an annoying noise, like I say it's like a gas escape. You know like the sound that people who has asthma makes?
I tried to record it and then eq it, but it's not good. Doing this mic position is better, I think.

cordura21 said:
I make an annoying noise, like I say it's like a gas escape.

Yea, my buddy makes this really annoying noise that sounds very similar to "escaping gas."

Every time he opens his mouth.

I think it's called his voice.

:D

yeah, well. If I was Joss Stone I'll probably be dating myself ;-)

Can't a guy with a Delta 1010 and a V67 dream?

hey, thanks. Did a lot of those excercises but I guess it comes from the fact that I have big allergies. Never smoked, so that can't be it.

cordura21 said:
hey, thanks. Did a lot of those excercises but I guess it comes from the fact that I have big allergies. Never smoked, so that can't be it.

Milk products are the most common problem, milk fat is to mucous as cement is to concrete. I have seen a lot of singers improve dramatically having given up milk and cheese or moved to fat free milk. If its hot and dry where you are in argentina make sure to keep lubricated with water.

cordura21 said:
Anyways, is this a common technique, and why does it change the sound so much? And does it have any bad effect (like permanent lack of highs, etc)?

The higher frequencies are very directional. By placing the mic above your head like that, you are attenuating all of the high frequencies and hence losing the 'hisss'. Good luck, with the recording

Back