Microphone & Placement Recommendations

ianda

Hi all! I'm (hopefully) going to be recording local area bands, choirs, and orchestras in the near future as part of a business venture. I'm looking for suggestions regarding microphones and mic placement. Here's what I'll (most likely) have to work with at the start:

Roland VM-3100 Digital Mixer
Dell Inspiron 3800 Laptop Computer
Edirol UA-1A USB Audio Adapter
Rolls RPB623 (6-Channel) Phantom Power Supply

Eventually, I want to purchase a Roland or Yamaha multitrack recorder/mixer. But, for now (with lack of $$ being the way it is, I'll have to use the preceding setup.) I'll be using the built in phantom power on the VM-3100 for the first two mics. After that, I'll switch over to the Rolls supply. What I'm looking for are ideas on the following three points:

1) What types of mics I should use (under $200 or $150 each is preferred ... condenser preferred)
2) How many I should place per session (just two, or maybe more)
3) Where they should be placed within the room (acoustic "sweet spot" ... but how do I find it)

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
ianda

Ianda,

These are some pretty complex questions that would require a lot more than what one could reasonably post in one thread. It's really more the subject of several threads . . . books, magazines, and other forms of research.

There are a whole slew of methods and types of mics available to you. Which set of mics, techniques and methods of recording will depend on any number of factors: What kind of music, the types of instruments and voices, accoustics, size and shape of the stage, as well as personal taste and preference (and many others).

I might recommend a trip to the local bookstore or library. Perhaps some others here could chime in with some good links where you can find some good info. on all things micing and recording.

As for this board, have a look at Harvey Gerst's thread and feast your brain:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=27030

Also, the Search function is your friend. Use key words like "orchestra," and "micing," or "choral micing," etc. etc. Whatever your questions are, chances are someone else has already asked something similar. And chances are several people with vast amounts of knowlege (see: Harvey, Little Dog, Blue Bear, Shailat, Sonusman, Barefoot, and many others) has already lent a great deal of insight in to the subject.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of recording.

A couple of mic suggestions....

ECM8000's. by the company whose name shall not be mentioned due to its evil nature, and the fact that I dont feel like speeling it at the moment. Dirt cheap omnidirectional, like under 40 bucks each, cant go wrong for the money.

Radio shack PZM's, the really old ones you cant buy at the shack anymore. they show up at pawn shops and flea markets occasionally, and on ebay, but usually for too much money. omni, easy to hide for recording live performances, and easily modified to balanced connections.

Aw, man!! I checked out that thread by Harvey Girst....all 20 pages.... What a wealth of knowledge, well explained, relevant, etc. I think it's the best forum thread I've ever read!! Thanks for the link! I downloaded the .doc file found somewhere near page 18, and got a message about not having an image filter, or something to that effect. Any solutions??

:D :D :D

Chris

Back